Home Forum Ask A Member 9122R 9.5hp throttle and mag plate throttle cont cam binds

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I replaced a worn “rack & link throttle” which was slipping out of the rear tiller gear . This was preventing the linkages to properly rotate the mag plate.

After replacing the part I found out why the original had been worn out by abusive rotations of the tiller handle.

the mag plate throttle control cam is getting stuck (binds) with the “lever and pin” on the “throttle shaft ” as the mag plate rotates to increase the speed (opening the throttle plate in the carb)

the throttle control cam (see pointing arrow) seems to slip in the slot just above the lever & pin cam sleeve (plastic mini roller)

this stops the mag plate rotation and any further effort to twist the tiller throttle handle risk damaging my new rack and link part.

(rack and link is the horizontal push rod that comes out to rotate the mag plate when the tiller is rotated )

I did remove the mag plate control cam when I did the coil swap and redid plug wire connections. I took care to scripe its exact location on the underside of the mag plate so I am pretty certain it is exactly where it was before I stripped the mag plate.

Is there a know reason why the throttle control cam would get stuck in the lever & pin . That lever & pin is suppose to rotate upwards out of the way as it rotates to open the carb throttle plate.

I did not find much info on the adjustments of the lever &Pin on the throttle shaft

thanks for suggestions

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

• This topic was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by crosbyman.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member

After reading your tale about seven times, I conclude you are missing the 310001 cam follower. Or it is assembled wrong.

The “lever and pin” should never be touching the cam.

The “cam follower” rides the cam profile, and transfers the motion to the “lever and pin”, which in turn rotates the throttle shaft open.

Make sure the “lever and pin” is pointing in the right direction. I’m thinking it points downward, but I could be all wet. Then make sure the “cam follower” rides the cam and pushes on the “lever and pin”.

9.5-Intake-manifold

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

FR

thanks for feedback …..that cam #13 seems to be used under the mag plate ? (I’ll investigate further)

after a close look under the mag plate…. that where I found it this morning.
          maybe it should not be UNDER the mag plate ???

on a second turtle I am refurbishing, the mag plate cam does ride smoothly across the throttle lever&pin …. lifts it upwards …. and rotates the throttle shaft to open the throttle plate.

something is binding the lever & pin roller

luckly your observation led me to instigate my second 9.5 to find out I did not position cam #13 under the mag plate properly
          if in fact that is where it it suppose to go because your comment indicates it to should be actuated by the mag plate side cam ?

i’ll pull the flywheel and mag plate on the second 9.5… put the two motors side by side and compare the rotation land linkages
          to see what I am doing wrong or if something is out of alignment

thanks

frankr
          Participant

US Member

I found this…

9.5hp-throttle-sync

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

BRILLIANT !!!

this explains everything I did wrong !

the #13 cam (which sits in front of the link& pin roller) pushes the lever & pin roller out of arm’s way from the mag plate underside cam

this cures both my turtles ! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

I am so Happy I wish I could paste some happy Emoticons in here πŸ™‚

thanks It is much appreciated ! I reread you initial reply and you had explained it but that picture said it all !!

I am pasting this document in my files !!!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by crosbyman.
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.