Home Forum Ask A Member !958 Johnson Serial Number Plate Issue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

Here in Texas, outboards are required to have titles. The serial number tag dictates the motor title.
      My 58 Johnson CD (which has a title) has a broken transom mount and I have a replacement, but I now must transfer the tag from the broken mount to the replacement mount.
      What is the easiest, safest, way to remove the tag and replace it?
      Can the rivets be driven out from the back? Should I just carefully shear off the tops of the current rivets and drill out the holes and use pop rivets to fix the tag onto the replacement part?
      I’m hoping I can use a long drift to drive the rivets out from the back and reuse the stock rivets to keep the motor looking as stock as possible.

Thanks for the help.
      Drifter

bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

You can drive the pins out from the back side with a small punch. I had the same issue with a broken transom mount on my CD a few years ago. If you are careful in driving the pin out slowly so it doesn’t fly across the shop floor, you can re-use them on the new bracket.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

aquasonic
        Participant

Best to remove the bracket and lay it down on your bench. This allows a square approach with a 3/32 pin punch to the back of the rivet.

Mumbles
          Participant

Placing the bracket on a folded towel or something similar will help prevent the drive rivets from flying away when they come out. The rivets can become corroded to the ID plate so I like to drive them out alternately, a little bit at a time so they don’t damage or bend the plate. A short punch will give more control than a long punch, which might bend.

This photo shows the style of rivets used but the ones in your motor will be shorter.

Hammer-Drive-Pin

drifter
            Participant

Thanks for the help. The rivets came out fine and I replaced the plate onto the replacement part. Yes, Mumbles, that little rivet took off and luckily, I found it.

foot_doctor
              Participant

Those little burgers are commonly called Drive Screws.

R.T.

foot_doctor
                Participant

Whoops, I meant Buggers!

R.T.

outbdnut2
                  Participant

The serial number is also on the welch plug on the engine block – maybe that’s all you need?
                    Dave

drifter
                    Participant

The welch plug is missing. Not an issue because the plate was installed. Thanks, Nick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.