Home Forum Ask A Member 1985 Evinrude 8 HP hard cold start?

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try a small half-moon piece of sticky aluminum tape over the bottom 2 holes for a short test to prove the theory ….

maybe some jjB weld would do a permanent seal of the holes … unlike the back throttle plate, the choke plate is not overly exposed to fuel so JB weld would hold ???

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by crosbyman.
      sydinnj
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The problem is getting the screws out without messing up the threads. If it was me I would see if there is any play in the screws without backing out much at all to see if I could get a slight amount of movement to see if I could align the plate better then tighten them back up

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You are right, blocking one of the holes sounds great, “in theory”… Honestly, I have never tried it. I thought the pop rivet might be an option, but it surely could loosen up/come apart with all the vibration of a running engine. The other thing to consider is just what kind of restriction having something in one of those holes might cause when the choke was in the open position, while running at high speeds…Could cause running issues. I suppose this could be tried as an experiment, if the engine was yours and you could monitor it, but releasing it to a customer is a risk.
          You could try loosening the screws “just slightly”, not enough to pull the peened threads through the shaft. Once loose, you could pull the choke shutter down towards the bottom of the carb throat so it will be a better fit. Once the bottom of the shutter is pulled down, this will allow the choke shaft to rotate more in the closed position which might seal it up at the top of the throat. But again, this is an “experiment” on a customer’s engine.
          I will bring my 8hp carb to Rocky Hill if you want to try it out…D

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.