Advice/Help?

Home Forum Ask A Member Advice/Help?

Tagged: 

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• SWMCPA

Replies: 5
    Topics: 1

I live in St. Petersburg, Florida and have been around boating all my life. I have done minor maintenance on the boats and motors I have owned, but most work has been done by professionals. Now that I am retired, I am considering buying an old (50s or 60s) outboard motor to restore. I think it would be fun, a good hobby and I just wat to see if I can do it. My question is, where might one find replacement parts (I sure it varies by manufacturer and I am looking at Johnson/Evinrude motors) and are there other resources to help along the way? Thanks in advance for any input.

olcah

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 451
    Topics: 78

This has a starter list. I can think of several more excellent suppliers. But this will get you going. Suggest starting with Johnson/Evinrude motors from 1955-1958. These have good parts supply and are easiest to work on (my opinion.) Ebay has parts too. Also suggest reading a book “Cheap Outboards” by Max Wawrzyniak. Enjoy !

Outboard Motor Used Parts, Yards ,Suppliers

SWMCPA

Thank you!

Shear Pin

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 8
    Topics: 0

Gano’s Outboard Part Sales, Salvage & Repair
    http://www.ganotech.com

nabmd

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 66
    Topics: 4

Go to ‘Resources’ at the top of this page, then ‘Links’, then ‘For the old Outboard’, Then ‘Art Dekalb’, then “Art’s Extras”, and print off his Five Point Plan. NABMD

SWMCPA

Well, I found one – 1956 5.5 hp Evinrude. Wish me luck!!

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4877
    Topics: 805

Sounds like a good one to start on, have fun!

Prepare to be boarded!

george-emmanuel

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 425
    Topics: 29

SWMCPA, consider joining the Florida Chapter as we have meets every month with plenty of people to help you. Membership in AOMCI is a requirement.

George

SWMCPA

Where are the meetings for the Florida Chapter held usually?

george-emmanuel

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 425
    Topics: 29

All over the state but primarily in Central Florida. We were in Casselberry last week. Nothing coming up for July and August but in September we will be on the Suwannee River at Yellow Jacket Campground and in October the big event is at Lake Shipp in Winter Haven.

George

Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5041
    Topics: 271

Well, I found one – 1956 5.5 hp Evinrude. Wish me luck!!

A good choice of motor to start with! The main thing to remember is it requires a 16:1 fuel mix using modern TCW III rated oil because of its mechanical design. Did it come with a two line pressure tank as these Fisherman models didn’t have fuel pumps?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Mumbles.

SWMCPA

Thank you.

SWMCPA

Thank you. I have been reading about the fuel/oil ratio. It did come with a two line pressure tank. It has six year old gas in it. First job will be to clean the tank and start with the new fuel, properly mixed. I wonā€™t get to really start working on this until August. Between the Fourth
    Of July and visitors and visiting, July is taken up.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3937
    Topics: 40

Well, you have made a good choice. These are great engines, many parts are still available new, and there are plenty of used parts around also. Ignition parts, carb kits, water pump, lower unit seals all available new.
    Yes, start with the tank…If it is rusted/badly fouled inside you may have to find another tank, they are around.
    You may get the engine started, but you will want to service all the systems completely if you want to make it a reliable daily runner.
    While the engine is sitting idle, you may want to drain the gear lube from it to inspect it…There are two large fill drain screws on the gearcase that both must be removed in order for it to drain completely. DO NOT remove that little phillips screw down there, that holds the shift linkage in place, it will fall out of place if the screw is removed….
    Gear lube from “back in the day” was usually a very dark color, which is normal…Newer gear lube will be gold in color.
    “milky colored” gear lube indicates water leakage into the gearcase
    Raw water mixed with gear lube is trouble also
    Things are in tough shape if there is no lube at all inside when you drain it…
    You may want to take a compression test also. These engines don’t have much compression, so reading between 70-80PSI on both cylinders is fairly normal.
    It is best to check these things out before investing alot of time/money in an engine that has internal damage.
    Feel free to post some pictures if that will help us help explain things to you….Don

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2185
    Topics: 230

The book CHEAP OUTBOARDS tackles the 5.5 and 7.5 hp nicely and has suggested an excellent read

Has suggested by fleetwin before diving in to deep, do a compression test to see if it a viable adventure.

lots of good utubes to help out to šŸ™‚

Joining AOMCI has priviledges šŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.