Home Forum Ask A Member Advice on a DVA Peak Voltage Meter

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    seakaye12
    Participant

US Member

Here’s another one I stumbled on last night. These people sell ignition components for motorcycles…..and they sell a meter/DVA Adapter for $58.00. Anyone here familiar with them?

https://www.rmstator.com/en_ww/products/kit-digital-multimeter-voltage-peak-reading-dva-adapter-rm22980

One thing I notice with these “cheap” adapters….is that the meter does not “remember” the peak reading. You have to be looking at the meter during cranking and observe the highest value….because it immediately begins to drop when cranking ends and the capacitor inside the adapter begins its discharge. I wonder if the “real” DVA meters like a Fluke with the MIN/MAX switch is different in that respect? Maybe it holds the high reading for viewing “after the event?

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

If the input impedance of the voltmeter you use is too low, it will drain off the capacitor before the digital display can settle out with a reading. I have a cheapie peak reading adapter that I bought, and a high impedance meter, but the peak reading still goes away pretty fast. Ideally, you need a peak reading circuit coupled to a sample and hold circuit; or , better yet, a storage oscilloscope which can grab as little as one pulse and keep it on the screen, allowing you to see both the peak voltage and the waveform shape. Storage scopes are not cheap, starting at around $250.00. I just did an online search and came up with this adapter which converts your laptop or other PC to a storage oscilloscope for $58.00 – I’m thinking about buying one, but then, being a retired electrical engineer, I have other uses for it as well.
        Dave
        https://www.amazon.com/Hantek-HT6022BE20Mhz-Digital-Oscilloscope-Bandwidth/dp/B009H4AYII/ref=sr_1_14?crid=HSPPVCN180TF&keywords=storage+oscilloscope&qid=1568215262&s=gateway&sprefix=%22storage+oscilloscope%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-14

frankr
        Participant

US Member

delete

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by frankr.
        Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.