Home Forum Ask A Member Air Cooled Question– Slightly Taboo Subject

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

While on this subject of air cooled motors, I was using 16/1 mix from my OMCs when working on 69 Chrysler 3.5. Should I set aside a “special” gas can for 16/1 mix with “air cooled” oil for this motor or will it be ok with the TC-W3 oil I use in my old OMCs? Not a big deal to get a dedicated gas can but its cluttered enough with 8/1, 16/1, 24/1, 40/1, 50/1, 100/1, and pure gas tanks…and sometimes several of each.

My thoughts were having ENOUGH oil was probably the most important factor considering this motor was originally used with automotive oil and the modern oils, TC-W3 or modern “Air Cooled Motor” oil, should both be at worst adequate and more likely better than the original lubricant. I will probably use this motor 2-3 times a year for just a few minutes of putting around.

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mark, I am by no means an expert on this subject but here is my 0.02. Ideally this motor should be run using air-cooled 2-stroke oil in the mix. That said, I bet you’re correct about either one being superior to using 30wt non-detergent oil in the mix. I have a 2hp air-cooled Elgin that I run on 16:1 full synthetic TCW-3 about as often as you plan to run this one. So far I have had no problems with it.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

I run my Jonsered chainsaw for twenty years on TWC 2 cycle oil
          not knowing any better. It was still running great when the clutch
          wore out.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.