Home Forum Ask A Member Air plug for gas tank

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Moxy
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

My first post! I’m a newb around here, and just starting to restore outboards, starting with a 1954 Lightwin.
      I recently put together a little fitting so that I could monitor the air pressure. It’s a simple 1/8" 3-female tee I got from NAPA auto for a buck. I got a pressure gauge that only goes to 30 PSI with an 1/8" fitting off Amazon, and then an 1/8" to Schrader fitting. I can easily push some air in this way and quickly release it.
      I tried one dent using a propane torch but i don’t think i was able to get the surrounding aluminum hot enough. Going to try a MAP torch next. Nervous about going to a welding torch – maybe too much heat and I’ll burn a hole.
      I’ve included the service manual pages, if anyone’s interested.

I have an old service manual that has a pretty good description of how they did it back in the day.

My first attempt – dent didn’t come out, but I needed more heat. It did come out some – it was very deep.

I’ll let you know the progress!

frankr
      Participant

US Member
        quote Randy in Tampa:

I know that some of the members put a plug in a gas tank in order to fill it up with air to get the dents out ,do they have one that has a valve stem on it like a tire if so where do I get one and what is it called? 😐

Called a tank valve. They are sold all over. I got one recently at Ace hardware.

The Boat House
        Participant

I worked on this tank for days.
          Couldn’t be in a worse spot.
          It came a long way but its still
          needs to go out more. The ark
          at the bottom is still less than
          at the ark at top of the tank.
          Enough so that a decal would
          probably wrinkle at the bottom.
          If I want to make it right I’ll
          need to cut it open.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.