Home Forum Ask A Member Alumacraft floor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member

Just tried out my model f over the weekend. Going to be a nice boat! My question is, its weeping a small amount of water upfront in the v and at the back seam at the transom on the floor. What is best used to seal these small leaks and what is best suited to paint the interior of the boat? The po painted it before but it is all flaking and coming off. Thanks.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if possible… add few inches water in the boat and check for precise leak sites front and back looking from the outside

once leak spots identified apply corrective measures
        if rivited repunch / recrimp the accessible*rivets see if that helps

if not apply sealants inside after the boat is dried out or try to weld

* sometimes rivets are blinded by the keel if you have one dead center ….bummer

you can always install a small bilge pump 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

stanley
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Captain Tolleys is my go to for all small leaks at seams or fastenings.I’ve used it on aluminum,wood and fiberglass boats with good success.It doesn’t take much and if used properly,is invisible.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by stanley.
          reivertom
          Participant

US Member

Thanks for the head’s up…I was wondering the same thing as the OP.

Tinman
            Participant

US Member

Can it be painted over once applied? Looks like it might be my answer to my small leaks. And is there a paint durable enough to hold up on a floor without flaking off? Does any one ever use a liner for like a truck bed? Or Flex seal?

stanley
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If your asking about the Captain Tolleys,there is really nothing to paint over since it flows into the seam and you wipe the excess off.I’ve never had to paint over it ,but I’m sure you could.

Tinman
                Participant

US Member

I want to paint the floor. It’s got several coats on now that are flaking off. Looks bad. I may try a bed liner. Not sure what would work best.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if it is anything like the aluminum boat I had … I ran a few stringer across the bottom between seats and screwed down a water proof ” porch ” plywood pre-painted a few coats of grey latex based exterior paint

installed a bilge pump under the back seat ….. keep my feet dry …..loved that rig e/w with a Classic 50 ….sold 15 years ago 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
                    Samuel Phelps
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is usually the go to sealer . Gluvit.. http://marinetex.com/products/marine-tex-products/gluvit/
                      From what I have heard … It is a bit runny so you may have to tilt the boat to get it to flow where ya want it ..

gjonz
                      Participant

Permanent fix is west systems g-flex epoxy. It will wick into the void like solder using a torch.

Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.