Home Forum Ask A Member Blue paint for 1957 Evinrude 35hp

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    danblue
    Participant

Thank you 20 merman. I would rather simply go pick up the duplicator as I’m only going to be painting the skeg and the small housing above the skeg..this lower part of the outboard certainly does tend to get natural nicks and wear/discoloration quickly, so a nice easy (inexpensive) solution for this lower bearing housing I believe.

What primer should I choose for after I sand and clean the red Johnson paint off? Thanks!

20mercman
      Participant

US Member

Like the others’ have said, the aluminum is porous and will absorb oil, especially lower units that have been exposed to everything! It is very important to get it as clean as possible. I use acetone and a stong degreaser like Castorl Super Clean. Then I use Rust-O-Leum self etching primer, followed by a few coats of their sandable primer. The self etching is only there to give tooth to the next layer of primer. Let dry, sand and repeat if needed until you’re satisfied with the surface and topcoat.

Steve

danblue
        Participant

So The steps are:
          1) Scrub clean with acetone & degreaser..followed by dish soap an water. Allw to dry well.
          2) 1 solid coat of Rust-O -Leum self etching primer
          3) 2 or so coats of sandable Rust-O-Leum primer
          4) sand and add another coat of primer.
          5) 2 coats of blue paint? then I’m done?

Thanks!

chris-p
          Participant

I like to strip my parts first down to bare metal where I can.

I degrease with a product like Super Clean first.

Then put in blasting cabinet and take down to bare metal. Perhaps paint stripper if you don’t have access to blasting machine?

Clean in soapy water to remove all traces of blasting medium and/or paint stripper, air hose dry.

Clean with a pre paint cleaner (wax and tar remover). Acetone could be used here as well. I believe some use Phosphoric Acid? I Stick to what the painters use and use the wax and tar remover.

Couple coats of self etching primer to the bare metal.

High Fill Primer if needed? Not all parts need this primer. Gearcases usually do as they are rough.

Paint as needed.

Follow painting instructions between coats and between primer and paint.

I don’t think buying Duplicor is cheaper is it? I buy the paint cans from NY Marine for like 10 bucks, the same, if not less, than what the Dupllicor cans are worth at my local auto parts store.

danblue
            Participant

BTW, is it OK to use a product like Super Clean to get inside my engine compartment and just do a quick clean? Everything is nice in there, but it is greasy. How about using it on the outside of the engine down there on that big housing between the engine head area and the lower unit? That area has a greasy film on the paint..is this stuff safe to use on the painted surfaces with a rag followed by a wet rag?

As well, can I use this product on my wood boat transom? I would like to get that slight bit of film off of the varnish before I sand lightly and apply a couple of new coats of varnish on the transom area.

Thanks guys!

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.