Home Forum Ask A Member Boat and motor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike Met
    Participant

Not to sure if this is the right place to ask about this, if not let me know where I should be posting it. I have a Joe swift hydroplane with the original outboard that was my father in laws it has been in storage for about 45 years I just managed to dig it out of the shed and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it may might be worth. I would like to sell it since I don’t have the room to store it and I will never use it here. I live in Calgary Canada. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The other motor was also in the shed. Elto Sportser
      Thank you.

need2fish
      Participant

Hey Mike – Are you asking what the boat is worth, or the boat and motor ?

Prices are all over the map and since there isn’t a blue book for outboards. The best we can do is tell you what our experience has been or tell you what we might pay for one. It all depends on condition and how much the buyer is willing to pay.

I don’t know much about Merc motor prices, all I can tell you is I purchased a sweet ’57 Mark 30 in Winnipeg 15 years ago and paid $300 CAD for it. I paid too much for it; I can still pick up one for $300 (USD) so that’s a comment on appreciation over time. If someone wanted to purchase ‘my 56 Mark 25 I’d probably ask $500, but that’s because I learned to water ski with that motor and it was unbelievably fast on both my hydros.

The Elto has virtually no market appeal, unless the buyer lives or lived in Peterborough, ON and wants one for the nostalgia — anyone else who wanted one probably has one already. I’ve paid anywhere from $25 to $100 for Gale variants like yours, in running condition.

The boat is probably worth the cost of the wood and the steering & throttle gear. Anyone who has the the ability to tinker with old outboards probably has the ability (and desire) to build their own. Personally, I would not buy a homemade without knowing the builder and/or the history. The last thing a boater wants is to part ways with the transom and the business end of the boat in the middle of a lake.

Unless you live in northern part of the province, Alberta and Saskatchewan are crappy markets for buyers and sellers. I expect the BC lower mainland and as far east as Kenora would be better markets for you.

That being said, you may find someone who would buy for a much higher number. If you have the time, ask high and drop it over time.

I’d strip out the deadman’s throttle for sale. If it’s a Quincy or Keller you may be able to get more for it than either of the motors or the boat.

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I don’t know squat about value of such a boat and motor. But I suspect you have a valuable item there.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Condition is everything! If in is a pre WW2 racing model in perfect running condition it could go well over $500. The Swift Hydro is also a classic. At the same time a old rotted wood boat and a rusted up or broken antique needing parts is worthless.[/size]

need2fish
            Participant

Yikes ! I missed the fact the Mark 40 has a quickie bottom end ! That changes everything — Mike, it appears you have a real racing motor. If you really want to sell it, you can try the Webvertize page on this site, or the Marketplace at Ron Hill’s screamandfly.com. If it’s a real Joe Swift and not like the homemade knock-offs I’ve seen, then I’m sure you’ll raise some interest.

frankr
              Participant

Joe Swift with a quickie. Those were what I was looking at when I suggested it might be valuable. But I still don’t know enough squat to appraise it.

modhydro
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That is a Swift hydro that was factory built pre-1957 when the “Big Dee” replaced this style. Take a look at the photos and tell me why you think the transom would fall out. That is probably the cleanest original hull that I’ve seen in doing this for about 40 years. It looks like a light scuff sand and varnishing, it is ready to run. It has the original paint on the decks as well as decal My guess is that the Swift builders decal is still on the dash above the steering as well. This would be able to be shown at antique engine meets or antique boat shows and be one of the best examples you would ever see.

It always amazes me how people think that this stuff isn’t worth anything. I don’t see any rust on that steering setup. Maybe the photos weren’t up when it was first posted.

Steve

A Hoskins
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If the Merc turns over it’s worth $2K any day of the week. The Elto is worth what you can get for it, more pictures would sure help. The boat looks fine and by virtue of the indoor storage has some value. I’m out of touch with that part of the market, sorry. Someone will want the rig, rest assured.

"Fox News" isn't.

georgemartin200
                    Participant

Down here in the states I am sure it is a $3- $4000 package as it is VERY collectable if you are into the big “D” stuff & the motor & boat are in decent condition.. Do not strip out any or the original hardware. as the full original package, steering wheel & all together belongs together when it is all restored & ready to run. The transportation is the problem, Long ways to the market down here, big trip for someone or sell it locally??. MY opinion ONLY!!
                      Ronald

seakaye12
                      Participant

Boat and motror
                        | Subscribe Favorite

This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 20 hours, 15 minutes ago by georgemartin200georgemartin200.

Currently, there are 1 user and 0 guests visiting this topic.

Ron Hill owns Screamandfly? I did not realize that. I know he has boatracingfacts.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.