Home Forum Ask A Member British Seagull Cooling

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    aquasonic
    Participant

US Member

Another orphan showed up at my doorstep. This time it’s a “bloody” British Seagull.

Just by adding fuel, and running it a bit in the tank, it cold starts on the first pull. That’s great.

The problem is that there is no water coming out of the telltale in the bottom of the block. I have tried blowing compressed air through the opening, but still no water.

This is my first experience with these motors. Do they have to be on a moving boat in order for the cooling system to work, or is there an issue here? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

David Bartlett
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Brent,

These have a hard impeller(rotor) and should pump water. Try flushing the hole with water instead of air.

good luck.

David Bartlett
        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

aquasonic
        Participant

US Member

Thanks David. That sounds like a good idea. This motor was used in the salt, and may be a little bit clogged with dried sea weed. I don’t know if the previous owner flushed it out with freshwater after use.

I’ll give it a try.

aquasonic
          Participant

US Member

Tried blasting water both in the water intake and in the telltale. Tested the motor again, no exit water. Then, as the motor sat in the tank, tried 150 PSI compressed air into the telltale once more. At first nothing happened, then whatever was clogging it up came loose with lots of bubbles coming out of the intake. Now there is a nice strong stream of exit water!

I had tried compressed air previously, but it was likely the water that softened up the clog, and made the difference. Thank you David.

I will now celebrate with tea and crumpets…Tally Ho!

jcrigan
            Participant

The water jackets get corroded pretty bad on these. They will eventually crack if not tended to.

westwind
              Participant

Canada Member

It’s “normal” for these to stop pumping at idle so don’t be alarmed. They aren’t intended to operate at low speeds for long periods.

cajuncook1
                Participant

Another orphan showed up at my doorstep. This time it’s a “bloody” British Seagull.

Just by adding fuel, and running it a bit in the tank, it cold starts on the first pull. That’s great.

The problem is that there is no water coming out of the telltale in the bottom of the block. I have tried blowing compressed air through the opening, but still no water.

This is my first experience with these motors. Do they have to be on a moving boat in order for the cooling system to work, or is there an issue here? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Aquasonic, do you have parts manual or service manual for your motor?

If not, pm me your email address.

Agree with previous statements. Water jackets get alot of scaling and rusting that block pathways. If you experience furthur flow or cooling issues, best remedy is to remove the head and manually clean out the pathways.

What year is your motor?

Cheers,
                  Cajuncook1

aquasonic
                  Participant

US Member

cajun, I see the block is made of some ferrous metal, I would guess steel or cast iron. That would explain the common problem of rust and scale in the cooling passages and water jacket. Saltwater use without flushing would surely accelerate this problem. This motor had not been run for about three years or so, and may not have been flushed with freshwater after any use.

I will keep an eye on the cooling, and remove the head if problems persist. Thank you for the advice. For now, the cooling system is working well.

I have no idea what year this motor was produced, but it is a short shaft 40+ model with the bronze tiller clamps. Maybe 1970’s?

Sent a PM. Thank you.

Edit: My PM is not working at this time.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by aquasonic.
                    1 user thanked author for this post.
                    cajuncook1
                    Participant

Try pm again and if that doesn’t work, then if your ok with posting your email in dockside chat out of public eye. I will be happy to send you service manual and parts manual.

Those can be fun motors 🙂

Cheers buddy!

Cajuncook1

Participant

If you haven’t, you should check out the “Saving Old Seagulls” site. Lots of information, source for parts, and an app to date the motor. I recently got one too and it is a hoot! Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.