Home Forum Ask A Member Bypass cover – what does it "do"?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nj-boatbuilder57
    Participant

Yes, the bypass cover is where the fuel pump gets it’s impulse. And, yes, you can take the cover off and peak inside.

But aside from that, what’s the purpose? I’m more curious than anything else, but I’m now paying attention because one of mine is oozing green-black oily grime past the gasket.

New gaskets are on order…but it has me wondering: what do these "do"? What is the purpose of these covers?

frankr
      Participant

US Member

The primary thing they do is cover the hole. The hole was necessary to make the casting and drill the ports. The secondary thing they do is direct the incoming fuel/air charge into the ports

nj-boatbuilder57
        Participant

Gotcha.

I suspect, then, that a leaky gasket would cause performance issues. Correct? The engine isn’t running badly, per se, but the lower cover is certainly letting gas-oil to blow past the gasket.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Other than making a mess, you probably would not notice a big difference. Unless it is a major leak like the gasket blown out.

nj-boatbuilder57
            Participant

nah, not a major leak….it’s just a little leak. More of a nuisance than anything else, as the slime drips down to the pan and then forward to the air hole, where it dribbles into my boat.

New gaskets should be here tomorrow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.