Home Forum Ask A Member Caille Neptune Gas Tank Repair?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

Buc – that kind of work is way beyond my skill set but it sure looks like it’s going to turn out really nice! Can’t wait to see the finished project!

Bill, I’m sure you could make a tank……. it seems to require more patience
      than skill, and if you’re not careful, band-aides!

Prepare to be boarded!

David Bartlett
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Buc,

As usual, I am impressed with your projects. Your pics are excellent as well as your story telling skills.

Keep it up!

David Bartlett
        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Joe, if you’re still “out there”, did you have to notch the seam in places to make
          the bends on the long side panel, or just bent it around something with
          a similar radius?

I hammered out the long side panel today, so hopefully I can bend it to fit
          the top and bottom panels tomorrow.
          I ended up bending all the folds on the panel a little at a time between
          two 6″ pieces of angle iron in the vice….. slow work for sure.

DSCN9888

DSCN9891

Prepare to be boarded!

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Notching for the bends? You should only have to notch the outside of the “S” to make smooth bends, That assuming that you slosed the inside of the “S” tight ( the 180* bend part/. I used a cut off wheel on the Dremel to make the notches.

Joe B

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Look’en good Buc! I can’t wait to see how you make the fill cap! Some talented people out there.

dale

get’em wet don’t let’em set!

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Notching for the bends? You should only have to notch the outside of the “S” to make smooth bends, That assuming that you slosed the inside of the “S” tight ( the 180* bend part/. I used a cut off wheel on the Dremel to make the notches.

Joe B

Thanks Joe. I have the Dremel ready to go with a little cut-off wheel.

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Look’en good Buc! I can’t wait to see how you make the fill cap! Some talented people out there.

dale

get’em wet don’t let’em set!

Dale, There was a brass threaded ring soldered to the top of the tank
                  for the filler cap to screw into. If the threads are okay, I’ll re-use that,
                  but you made me remember that I don’t have the filler cap for the Caille!
                  Will have to study up and see what one looks like, and maybe make
                  something on the lathe.

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

In between a wood working project for the wife, I worked on the tank some
                    more today. It was kind of a “bugger” getting the correct curves on the long
                    side panel to fit the bottom.
                    Not sure how one is suppose to get the top panel to fit as one won’t be
                    able to manipulate the metal from the inside of the tank…… should be
                    interesting.

I still have to cut the side panels for length and make the tabs to lock
                    them together.

Also still have to play around with the brass rivets I found in my stash.
                    They’re hollow on the end part way. It seems to me these are the type
                    of rivets used on brake shoe lining “back in the day”, and vaguely
                    remember using a manually operated riveter / press type of tool
                    once to install them.
                    I was thinking of machining a punch to work on these type of rivets,
                    but not sure what the end should look like. Anyone know?

DSCN9892

DSCN9894

DSCN9895

Prepare to be boarded!

joecb
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Buc, before you drill and mount the brass pieces, first check on the motor that the tank will be positioned properly , clearing the flywheel and looking nice and even all around

Joe B

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

Buc, before you drill and mount the brass pieces, first check on the motor that the tank will be positioned properly , clearing the flywheel and looking nice and even all around

Joe B

Joe, I kind of did that the other day, with the old and new bottom panel,
                        setting the bronze mounting piece, atop the three bolts on the back of the crankcase,
                        along with the bottom piece. It appeared that the original tank was just
                        a hair out of square with the cylinder.

I ate some brain food (taco’s) and went back out and worked on the tank
                        some more.

Joe, Is this what you were talking about with how I did the “tabs” and “S” joints
                        to connect the side panels together?

The side panels are seated into the bottom panel, but not crimped in tight yet.
                        Guess there will be no way to “crimp in” the top panel after the bottom is on,
                        but recon solder will keep it from going any place.

At this point forward, I’m wondering about the remaining sequence of events.

Q. Do I rivet the bronze castings to the bottom panel before I attach the side
                        panels?

Q. Do I “tin” the bottom of the castings with solder before I rivet them on?

Q. Do I install the top and bottom panels to the sides then solder everything
                        at once, or do the bottom panel “inside and outside” first to make sure
                        none of the joints leak, then do the top panel last?
                        I’m a little concerned that if I solder the bottom first, if may be harder or
                        impossible to get the top panel inserted. Thoughts?

I think my brass threaded gas cap ring that’s soldered to the tank top is okay.
                        I was just thinking that I might want to make a gas cap on the lathe while
                        the brass threaded ring is still available to test fit the cap while on the lathe.

I noticed from photos that there were two different styles of gas caps
                        on Caille’s of this era. A “flat top” one, and one with a raised center tab
                        to grab with your fingers.
                        Q. Any idea which is correct for my Caille Neptune?
                        I don’t have a milling machine, so the flat top one would be easier to make!

Also, my tank appeared to have evidence that there was an 1/8″ OD tube
                        to atmosphere, near the cap, for a vent. Mine is broken off flush with
                        the top of the tank.
                        Q. How high did the vent tubes stick up, and did they go straight up, or “curlie cued”?
                        Tried looking at some archived photos last night, but hard to make out that detail.

Thanks!!

DSCN9897

DSCN9898

DSCN9896

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 95 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.