Home Forum Ask A Member Caille Neptune “this and that”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The Caille is starting to take shape. Threaded a rod today for tiller handle.
      Some of the ads look like they may have had a wood grip, but can’t tell.
      Anyone have one with wood?
      DSCN9837

What kind of grease is recommended for the crankshaft grease cups?
      I suppose some of the grease could eventually migrate to the crankcase,
      so thought I’d ask.
      DSCN9835

What’s the ear for on the back of the lower unit, that looks like it would be a good place
      to attach a spring?
      DSCN9836

I’ve not started on the gas tank yet….. wish me luck!
      DSCN9843

Prepare to be boarded!

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Might have been wood on the grip, but it was missing from mine when I got it.

And your timer is bent out of shape, no doubt. Probably risky to try and straighten it that much tho.

PM T2

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by pm-t2.
        bobw
        Participant

Buc – very nice work so far. Looking forward to final completion!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Buccaneer
          Participant

Might have been wood on the grip, but it was missing from mine when I got it.

And your timer is bent out of shape, no doubt. Probably risky to try and straighten it that much tho.

PM T2

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by pm-t2.

You mentioned once before that my timer handle is bent, and you’re probably correct,
            but I’ll be darn if I can find any evidence of damage on it. Regarding the timer lever,
            I need to look at that spring loaded button on the handle…….. sure doesn’t look
            like a wire hooks to it, but if not, no idea what it’s for.
            There is a “slotted”, steel stub on the transom mount, that I assume a ground wire
            attaches to. On Jack’s site there’s a photo of a battery box with original wiring, etc.,
            and at least one of the wires appear to have forked end, that looked like it would
            attach to said slotted steel stub.

My motor must be newer than yours, as I see you have the knob on the flywheel.
            Doubtful if my rope plate is original.

Also your photo reminds me that I’m missing the exhaust cut-out. I’ll have to find
            some close-up photos of one to see if I can fabricate one.
            Thanks!

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
            Participant

Buc – very nice work so far. Looking forward to final completion!

Thanks Bob. My hopes is to get it running to show my 84 yr old uncle,
              who gave it to me. He got it back in the 1960’s, but never tried to
              get it running.

Prepare to be boarded!

george-emmanuel
              Participant

Everything I have is currently in a warehouse, so I can’t provide any pictures, but my 1915 does have a wood handle and it appears to be original. It is a simple shape, black in color with a plated ferrule. I’m not familiar with your model, but mine has a brass insert on the end of the steering handle where it screws in. The steering handle, when fully screwed in, would lock the lower unit in position,–sort of a self steering feature. My Wisconsin has the same feature. So you might want to investigate that. The insert is slightly proud of the end of the rod and slightly smaller in diameter.

George

Buccaneer
                Participant

George, interesting about the tiller handle locking the steering for “auto pilot”.
                  I don’t have that feature on my Caille, and if my Wisconsin has it, I’m not
                  aware of it. Mine just has a 1/2″ x 20 tpi threaded hole in
                  a casting on top of the lower unit.
                  Mine has a spring on the back side of the casting (that the handle screws into)
                  to help maintain an even course.

I did end up making a wood handle out of an old old stairway spindle.
                  Maybe a brass ferrule on it would be a good touch!
                  Thanks.

DSCN9845

DSCN9847

DSCN9846

Prepare to be boarded!

eltoquad
                  Participant

The hole where you’ve attached the end of “Steering spring” in transom on my motor has a cotter pin installed in it, then the spring is attached to the loop in end of cotter pin. I’ve seen several that way. Not sure if it’s correct?/

Buccaneer
                    Participant

The hole where you’ve attached the end of “Steering spring” in transom on my motor has a cotter pin installed in it, then the spring is attached to the loop in end of cotter pin. I’ve seen several that way. Not sure if it’s correct?/

I wish I would have thought about that! It sure would have made
                      it easier to install the spring! I’ll probably re-do mine, I need
                      a stiffer spring anyway. Thanks!

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                      Participant

I redid the steering spring on the motor as Eltoquad mentioned, except
                        I put a ss cotter pin on each end, and a different spring. It works better,
                        looks better, and easier to install. Thanks for the tip!

I also went by someone’s sage advise and used acetone to remove the
                        white printing from the fuel hose I used on the water pump hose to make
                        it look a little more “correct”.
                        The 1/4″ ID hose went on the pump end okay, but the cylinder fitting
                        was larger diameter, and I had to machine it down a ways.
                        Will have to purchase some antique looking hose clamps to finish it off.

Time to start on the gas tank next!

DSCN9849

DSCN9840

DSCN9841

DSCN9848

Prepare to be boarded!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Buccaneer.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.