Home Forum Ask A Member Can anybody share specs/parts list for 1947 Elgin 5.5 hp model 571.58601

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    seahuntboater
    Participant

Greetings. Thanks to Bob for helping me identify my new project motor. It would be so helpful to get some information/documentation so I don’t mess it up.

I would suspect it was manufactured by West Bend. Carb is MD4

Thanks . Ralph

seakaye12
      Participant

US Member

Deleted. Wrong info

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by seakaye12.
        seahuntboater
        Participant

Darn, I felt like a kid in a candy store when I saw that I had a new reply. Hopefully somebody will have something. I want to figure out where to put the lubriplate and how to check the impeller and it does not look that obvious.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

The lubrication is easy. Still looking for info on the water pump. I’m thinking it may have the old sliding vane pump.

elgin-lubr

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Does your motor have the 125536-1 clip at the lower front of the motor leg? If it does snap it off to access the nut holding the gearcase on. There will be another not or screw aft of that, coming up from below. No clip??? Then things are tougher.

Picture shows the rubber impeller.

Elgin-Motor-leg

frankr
              Participant

US Member

This is NOT your motor. Postiing it for reference only. If your motor does not have the clip mentioned above, then the forward gearcase stud goes way up to below the steering pivot king pin and is held by a special nut, which requires removing the powerhead, then pulling the king pin out. Now you can access that special nut, which requires a special screwdriver.

Note: if you have this kind and the sliding vane pump, I suggest leaving it alone till you get it running. If it pumps water at idle speed, the vane is ok. If it doesn’t pump, or doesn’t pump at idle, the pump requires attention. The ends would wear on the sliding vane, and the first indication is no pumping at idle.

11.-Stern-Bracket-and-Motor-Leg

seahuntboater
                Participant

thanks. I will post a close up picture or two tomorrow. I definitely do not have the clip style. I will work on the grease first and then when running hope for good water flow.

seahuntboater
                  Participant

Here are a few pictures. I only see one screw. what is that one for? Where to add lube?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.