Home Forum Ask A Member Can old control box be used on newer motor?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wetwillie
    Participant

I found a replacement for my ’66 Evinrude 33 with a stuck flywheel (see other thread on OMC vs HF puller) in the form of a ’79 Evinrude 35. I’d like to know if I can use the 2 levered control box from the 33 on the newer 35 which is supposed to have a single lever box. It appears that I can use the shifter cable but will have to get a different throttle cable because the ends are different.
      Also, and I hope I don’t offend anyone by asking, in light of the ’79 not being an antique by any stretch of the imagination, is there a forum as excellent as this one where I should be posting questions for the newer motor? I have a couple of questions about it.
      THANKS!

boxcar
      Participant

Yes your old controls should be adaptable.
        What questions?

wetwillie
        Participant

Thanks Boxcar. My other questions include how to remove the starter mount. As you know, I need to remove the starter to get to the nut securing the carb. I thought I’d ask for some helpful advice on removing the starter mount as it looks like its more involved than I would’ve expected.

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
            quote WetWillie:

I found a replacement for my ’66 Evinrude 33 with a stuck flywheel (see other thread on OMC vs HF puller) in the form of a ’79 Evinrude 35. I’d like to know if I can use the 2 levered control box from the 33 on the newer 35 which is supposed to have a single lever box. It appears that I can use the shifter cable but will have to get a different throttle cable because the ends are different.
            Also, and I hope I don’t offend anyone by asking, in light of the ’79 not being an antique by any stretch of the imagination, is there a forum as excellent as this one where I should be posting questions for the newer motor? I have a couple of questions about it.
            THANKS!

Hey, that motor is defined by AOMCI as a "Classic" and is welcome here. Anybody that is offended by it has a problem. BTW, a Classic is anything over 30 years old.

Steve A W
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wetwillie
              Your ’79 falls in the "Classic" category of old outboards.
              There are plenty of marine mechanics from that era on
              these boards.
              I think all of them have chimed in on the flywheel problem.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
              I live in Northwest Indiana

wetwillie
              Participant

Well that’s a relief! Thanks for putting my mind at ease.
                I have removed the starter and carb since my last post. I believe I’ll start a new thread re: my next question because I think its one that might be very helpful to others and will be easier to find in the future.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The standard two lever control box will work fine on that engine…What piece is it that you think won’t fit? Post some pictures. The tricky part will be to find the proper wiring harness for that engine if it is electric start….

wetwillie
                  Participant

I’m in luck as far as the wiring harness is concerned because it was included with the motor. I have found some wires with deteriorated insulation though. Thanks to the mice that took up residence at some point and used several areas to answer Nature’s call.
                    Right now, the piece I’m needing is an adapter bracket that will enable me to connect cable steering to the front handle. Naturally, it has to bolt to the front handle. I looked at everything available on eBay but didn’t find what I’m looking for. Not good.

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

send me an email to daveb409@hotmail.com I may have it send pic if you have.

wetwillie
                      Participant
                        quote betty ann bernardd:

send me an email to daveb409@hotmail.com I may have it send pic if you have.

Email sent with much appreciation 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.