Home › Forum › Ask A Member › Carb Help 1966 5hp Evinrude

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #329352

    So I made an earlier post about not being able to gap new points so I put the old ones back on. Now I determined that I have a carb issue. So when I bought it , I tried pumping gas into the motor and noticed the carb bowl leaking fuel. So I removed it and put a new carb kit in the carb. However, I noticed that the old kit looked absolutely fine. So I was mystified why it was having a stuck float. So after putting a new carb kit in the carb and installing, I pumped it up and noticed it once again leaking fuel from the float bowl and throat. So once again removed it and disassembled. However didn’t notice the float sticking or not level. So this time i bench tested the carb in a vice and pumped fuel and no problem whatsoever. So installed once again and guess what , still leaking from bowl and throat. How in the world could that be. So removed and tested in vice with no problems. So what in the world am I missing here. How could it bench test fine and as soon as I mount 2 nuts and a spring and pump fuel it leaks like no tomorrow? I am truly mystified here. Thx for any help.

    #329354
    Don
    Participant

      US Member

      Hard to imagine just what could be changing only causing it to leak when mounted on the enigne.  Are you sure the bowl vent isn’t getting plugged somehow?  Did you use an OEM or aftermarket carb kit?  Did it come with a new float, inlet needle and seat?

      #329359
      JACQUES
      Participant

        the only thing that come to mind is possibly the mounting angle .. if it  does not leak on the bench   and only on the engine   try tilting it a few degrees up or down of the bench and see it starts to leak

        carbs are pretty simple and it is quite possible your old  needle and seat are perfectly good.  make certain the float is not upside down

        some  kits ahe  seats with a wrong thread side

        trim the inside perimeter of the carb bowl gasket  with a sharp exacto knive to remove possibility of snags on the cork

        do a proper blow test on the carb

        Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

      Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.