Home Forum Ask A Member Carb questions, 1954 omc 25

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Doug
    Participant

Needing some help with sourcing and a couple other questions. Working on a 1954 Evinrude 25 25012-80428 I found a couple oddities.

First I need help with a AOMCI favored parts supplier for common rebuild parts… Carb kit in this case ??

Second I did not find a gasket like expected around the bottom base of the high speed emulsion tube and between the bowl and body, ” the donut ” gasket. But there was sufficient clumps of stuff to may have maybe been one. “see pic” on the other hand i do not see one used in the parts diagram. ?? Never seen a carb with this arrangement not have this gasket ??

Third, there is no clip attaching the needle to the float arm and actually no head on the needle to attach a clip to, yet I see it is formed to use one in the parts diagram picture ??

This seems silly to ask but the glass filter bowl is stuck so tight I really cannot get it off, kinda trying not to break it as well so being tender at the same time. Any advice. ??

I got a few I have had a long time but can always use a few more going into retirement.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Doug.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I don’t know of any carb kit for that motor. You have to order individual parts. That motor does not use, nor need a “donut” gasket. The float valve with a clip wasn’t invented till many moons later, but will replace the non-clip needle & seat if needed.

bobw
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Sierra has a kit 18-7024 that has the gaskets and needle/seat but no float, available at marineengine.com

Vintage Outboard may also have the same kit and a float separately. For your stuck glass filter bowl, try soaking the thing in hot water for awhile. That will usually get it loose.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Doug
          Participant

I did put the remaining carb in hot water with a heavy dose of dawn to finish cleaning as carb cleaner cleaned the original paint off the bowl so I changed up the plan. This did loosen the glass filter bowl, Thanks… ok I will chase parts as suggested.

I got a few I have had a long time but can always use a few more going into retirement.

stanley
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Dan Gano at ganotech.com can help you

Doug
              Participant

Thanks for the suggestion, I saved the info. I tracked them down via parts manual part#’s and google then ordered them before I saw this.

I got my gaskets and new spark plugs in today and put the carb together and got it reinstalled. Will pull and replace fuel lines tomorrow and check for spark before popping the flywheel off. I wanna clean the points faces and check the timing with Richards tool and see how this works and just generally inspect it all. Want to see what the coils condition looks like. Thanks for the replys on the carb questions…

need2fish
                Participant

I don’t run fuel with ethanol in any of my engines — it’s h–l on carbs and fuel lines — if a previous owner did, then you need to ensure all the fuel passages in the carb are free — rotten fuel lines spread damage throught the fuel system — carbs can be blown out but go easy on the air pressure.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.