Home Forum Ask A Member Carbon Seal Question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant

On the OMC motors that use a carbon seal, does it matter which way the seal goes in? One side of the seal has 2 small "notches" in it, presumably to let oil in or out.

What is the correct way?

Thanks, David

david-bartlett
      Participant

OK, In the Johnson Service Manual in Garry’s dropbox, it says to install with notches "Up". I guess I am all set with my answer.

chris-p
        Participant

Yes that is correct. Notches towards the powerhead. So UP is correct for the lower crank seal.

david-bartlett
          Participant

Chris,

Thanks for confirming that for me.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

"UP" means up towards your face. Think about it, the seal does its job by the flat side being in contact with the flat of the bearing shell.It wouldn’t do much good if the notches were against the shell, would it? The new seal design removes all doubt.

david-bartlett
              Participant

OK, so using the old style seal on the bottom bearing of an 18hp the side with no notches would go against the bearing?

Attachments:

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Yes, side with no notches goes against bearing. BTW, that is the newer style in your pictures

david-bartlett
                  Participant

Frank,

Thank you for clearing that up. I was expecting the "New" style to have more of a step.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.