Home Forum Ask A Member CD-10 5.5hp Johnson and Sierra Carb kit

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Keith Gill
    Participant

US Member

Hi,

Will probably join to be a full member but for now I am trying to rebuild my first outboard carb. I have experience in lots of other types of carbs, i.e. sports cars, tractors, etc.

In the Sierra Kit I ordered (18-7043 – Johnson/Evinrude Carburetor Kit (OE or Sierra Kits (shipped from USA) most 2-20hp (replaces OMC #382045) from vintage outboard.

I know there are several gaskets there that I don’t need for my motor but there is a large donought shaped black rubber piece I dont know what to do with. And then there is something called a boss gasket, I dont know which one that is from my kit but I think Ive narrowed it down.

So on the left in this picture are the parts left over that I am unsure about.

On the right are parts from the teardown that I am not seeing equivalent replacements for??

The next picture, do I have the spring and the plastic washer in the right setup or should the washer be next to the knob?

There is a brownish rubber gasket between the carb bowl and body. Just want to make sure this is correct, actually I see no other option in my kit but what I took off was fiber not rubber.

IMG_5984

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Mumbles.
      Keith Gill
      Participant

US Member

knob and spring

IMG_5986

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Mumbles.
        Keith Gill
        Participant

US Member

gasket

IMG_5987

bobw
          Participant

US Member

There is a gasket/washer over the nozzle inside the carb – looks like the one in the far left of your first picture. See enclosed picture from my CD-11 carb.

Looks like you have the washer and spring set up correctly behind the carb knob. The spring will actually go behind the front carb plate. See enclosed pic from my CD-11 showing the final installation.

You installed the correct gasket between the carb body and float bowl. It is made of a newer material that is more resistant to modern ethanol fuels.

Edit – welcome to the Forum and hope you join as a full time member.

11-Hi-Speed-Nozzle-Gasket

33-Carb-NeedlesAir-Box

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by bobw.
            billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I always wondered what that big fat o-ring was for, too. Maybe it was for a carb that was even before MY ancient time? Looking at the picture, I can’t now help but wonder if it is the same as a shift shaft o-ring……not that it would be it’s purpose in a carb kit….

Long live American manufacturing!

lindy46
              Participant

US Member

I’ve got a bunch of those fat o-rings in my stock of parts. Figure someday I’ll find a use for them.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

btw just tried a cheapy carb kit from China…ona JW inlet jet nozzle did not match the threads in the carb….useless for me

cotter pin useless to secure the inlet needle the float arm..

buyers be aware ..they say

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nothing good comes from China. Not even chicken fingers. They are Polynesian.

Long live American manufacturing!

David Bartlett
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nothing good comes from China. Not even chicken fingers. They are Polynesian.

I agree!

David Bartlett
                      Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I always wondered what that big fat o-ring was for, too. Maybe it was for a carb that was even before MY ancient time? Looking at the picture, I can’t now help but wonder if it is the same as a shift shaft o-ring……not that it would be it’s purpose in a carb kit….

Good question…Does anyone know what that round rubber donut gasket is for, I have a collection of them also… That Sierra kit must be very inexpensive, not much to it… I do my best to avoid Chinese stuff at all costs, but it is near impossible to avoid….Don’t get me started….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.