Home Forum Ask A Member CD-18 Drain fuel system

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    archangel
    Participant

This is kind of a simple question, but I can’t see any convenient way to drain the unspent fuel from the carb or fuel pump on my CD-18. If I recall correctly, my CD-12 has a purge-valve screw on the carb bowl, but I don’t see anything similar–or accessible and visible while the carb is installed, at any rate–on my CD-18. Does anyone have any advice on methods of draining the fuel system?

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if you disconnect the hose and run fast idle that should suck the gas from the bowl

why not just run some gas saver or 2+4D in your last tank to ensure all the left over gas in the engine will last the winter

I never has any issue this way

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
        Participant

Your carb should have the small screw on the side of the bowl to drain it. If not, removing the high speed needle and tilting the motor will do the job to.

archangel
          Participant

Thanks. I usually do disconnect the fuel hose from the tank and run it all out, but I had this motor sitting on the boat and it wouldn’t start when I went to fog and remove it for the season. It was disappointing because I had it all set up to start on a half pull earlier in the season. To add to the issue, the spring in the recoil broke after the fourth attempt to start it. So, because I couldn’t start it, I couldn’t run the fuel out. 😳 I have found with my CD-12 that disconnecting the fuel hose and running it dry still leaves some fuel in the carb bowl that needs to be drained via the drain screw even if you choke and restart until it won’t cough anymore.

The CD-18 is a kinda crummy design to drain the fuel. The lower cowl is in the way to remove the high-speed needle or the fuel hose from the carb. With the air horn and front plate needing to be removed too, it means one heck of a lot of disassembly required to drain the fuel. I thought that maybe I was just being thick and didn’t see an obvious way to drain the fuel system. 🙂

al-lockhart
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

For many years I have only used ethanol free premium fuel with stabilizer in every drop of fuel I use in my marine and other small engines. I never have a problem now even if a bit of fuel remains in the bowl.
              Al

chris-p
              Participant

Yeah, for motors I store outside, or bigger motors that stay on the boat, I never drain or run out. Just run stabilizer.

Smaller hp motors I bring inside for winter, or for collection, I run dry for obvious reasons. If they run on a pressure tank, I have an easy solution. Make a tank connector, with the fuel line looped from fuel to air. Remove the tank, and install this. That way, the pressure will force the fuel system dry. As its dying, choke it. As you can hear it running lean, I pump the fogging oil into it on its final breath.

archangel
                Participant
                  quote Al Lockhart:

For many years I have only used ethanol free premium fuel with stabilizer in every drop of fuel I use in my marine and other small engines. I never have a problem now even if a bit of fuel remains in the bowl.
                  Al

Well, maybe I shouldn’t be so concerned about it then. I always use ESSO 91, which is supposed to be ethanol-free here, and I always use stabilizer in all my outboard and small-engine fuel. I have been paranoid about draining all fuel from my outboards because of repeated carb problems with my 2006 Honda 20hp outboard carb if any fuel sits in it for more than a couple of weeks even with ethanol-free, stabilized gas. The only thing that keeps that motor healthy is draining the carb after every use.

bill-russell
                  Participant

If it helps, one way to drain a carb is to turn the motor upside down and fuel will drain from bowl vent. Probably not the recommend way,but it works. Use some rags to soak up the fuel. I have had to do this with sunk motors when I didn’t have any tools. Got me home! Bill

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well lawnmower wise they get stored in the shed and end up starting in the spring for 10-15 20 years so a bit of fuel isn’t so bad

I worry more about my ETEC injectors but after 10 years no issue by storing the boat full of fuel with 2+4D and some SEAFOAM at -20- to -30 c

never had starting problems … no ethanol issues, gelling of "fuel separation" nothing 🙂

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well lawnmower wise they get stored in the shed and end up starting in the spring for 10-15 20 years so a bit of fuel isn’t so bad

I worry more about my ETEC injectors but after 10 years no issue by storing the boat full of fuel with 2+4D and some SEAFOAM at -20- to -30 c

never had starting problems … no ethanol issues, gelling or "fuel separation" nothing 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.