Home Forum Ask A Member CD-18 Drain fuel system

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member

I do about the same as others have stated. If at all possible, I run everything dry before storage, along with using stabilizer.The Honda motors can be a problem, as you stated. The passages in these carbs are so tiny that they are more prone to clog up. The use of Ethanol in these motors, along with prolonged non use, is a death sentence. I worked on a 25 Honda that sat for 2 years with ethanol treated with Stabil. I ended up replacing one entire carburetor to get it to run, even after 4 attempts to clean it.
      My favorite stabilizer is CRC brand in the white bottle. It is inexpensive and is concentrated. I have used it for years, at the dealership, and at my own shop.

archangel
      Participant

Thanks, Jerry. That Honda carb has been a real problem for me and has spooked me about ethanol, using non-stabilized gas, and purging gas from fuel systems when letting any of the small engines I have sit at all.

That Honda of mine does get a tough time though, I suppose. It goes on the 14′ aluminum in the last week of April and comes off in the first week of December. And, some of the other family members that use it aren’t very cautious about draining the carb after use. 😈 Even with only using stabilized, ethanol-free any fuel in that carb is spells doom.

From what everyone has said here in this thread, I guess I have just become too timid about the matter in most of my other outboards and small engines. 😳

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.