Home Forum Ask A Member CD13 gear oil leak

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    yooperrigged
    Participant

US Member

I seem to have gear oil leaking very slowly from the water intake on my CD 13. The oil is clean and not milky at all. I have never had this problem before. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

frankr
      Participant

US Member

The water intake leads to the area below the water pump. That area contains the drive shaft seal. You are sure it is gear oil, right? Possible unburned fuel running down the drive shaft and though the pump. Was it last run in a barrel?

yooperrigged
        Participant

US Member

I am certain it is gear oil and it was last run out on the lake. It is a very slight leak that ends up on the back of the cap plate.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

drain the gear oil and inspect for contamination if oil goes out water must be going in

reseal likely needed

visit utube for procedure incl dropping the gearcase
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA0u62hciwY
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVOedhzPP7M

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Steve Martin
            Participant

US Member

Newbe question:. What difference does running in a tank make?

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you don’t go anywhere …

you detected or suspected a leak….. go for it drain the oil ……if OK you can always put it back in unlike toothpaste 🙂

btw if you do reseal the gearcase careful not to break the base gasket under the powerhead when you remove it as per the video

replace the shift shaft seal and drive shaft and prop shaft seals (3 in all )

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by crosbyman.
                Mumbles
                Participant

And two new seals for the drain/vent plugs makes five in total!

When it gets hot out, I notice some motors drip gear oil out of the exhaust snout and it’s probably caused by the hot expanding oil getting past a worn O ring seal on the shift shaft. It’s not too serious of a problem unless water is making its way into the gearcase and contaminating the oil.

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Newbe question:. What difference does running in a tank make?

All the discharged oil and glop emulsifies with the water, then drains out of the motor when you shut it down and hang it on the rack. Then they freak out and declare their gearcase is leaking.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

btw…. with oil being so cheap some just change it once or twice per season …. and don’t bother fixing the seals …not eco friendly but it happens

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like everyone says, be sure you have an actual gear lube leak, before going crazy ripping into the gearcase. Have you run the engine on a boat? I only ask because you mention that the gear lube is clean when you drain it….There should be evidence of water in the gear lube when you drain it after running it on a boat if there is a gear lube leak.
                        It is critical to pressure test the gearcase prior to ripping it apart and replacing all the seals/orings. You really want to know just what is causing the leak before ripping it apart. All the new seals/orings aren’t going to solve a leak issue caused by a damaged casting or grooved shaft.
                        I am in the minority here, I disagree with all that insist that doing a reseal job on one of these clam shell gearcases is something that can be successfully tackled by a novice without any prior experience or proper tools. These gearcases are in fact pretty difficult to get sealed up properly. Yes, most can probably get the thing apart and together with new seals/orings. but sealing it up successfully is quite another story.
                        So, I am inclined to discourage folks from taking these thing apart. Needless to say, I have no idea what your experience level is, or what tools you have access to. I would run the thing on a boat, and change the gear lube very frequently to monitor this issue. If you decide that the leak is severe and the gearcase must come apart, please pressure test it first prior to disassembly…Next, I would get a manual and review the procedures, ask questions here, and gather up the tools you will need prior to getting started…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.