Home Forum Ask A Member Champion Hydrodrive Year ID help needed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bayham3261
    Participant

Hey everyone!

I just picked up a complete but definitely non-running Champion Hydrodrive. Based on the condition and Champion C7 plugs I’m assuming it’s been sitting in a shed for a very long time. I’ve always wanted to try my hand a fixing one of the unique motors. I want to see how slow I can make my boat go!

It is a twin model with the model/serial number is 4LHD 9344. The Old Outboard Book put this as a ’50 to ’52 model… either 7.9hp or 8.5hp. I’m assuming the serial number was sequential for the model so this would be #9,344 in production. I’m also assuming Champion made a lot of these back in the day so this was likely built in the first year of production…? so probably a 7.9hp…? Does anyone have serial #/production year info?

I can’t seem to find any differences in the limited info I have on champions that differentiates the 7.9hp from the 8.5hp. Was the differences just a hp rating adjustment on paper? If anybody has any technical/repair/parts diagrams on this… it would be appreciated. Thanks!

A little information is a dangerous thing!

7tcu
      Participant

1950-51, 8.5hp-

jcrigan
        Participant

I have been wondering what the differences were between the 7.9 and the 8.5hp motors. They are both rotary and reed valve engines. I have an 8.5 motor and on the rods there are a double row of roller bearings. There are a total of 64 rollers on each rod. Don’t know if the 7.9 is the same.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

1950 was 7.9hp
            1951-52 was 8.5hp.

Now you got me wondering where the extra ponies came from.

I’m looking

frankr
            Participant

US Member

7.9hp had Scintilla magneto, 8.5hp had Phelon magneto. But I don’t think that should make any hp difference(?)

frankr
              Participant

US Member

7.9 & 8.5 all share the same cyl head, reeds/reed plate, pistons, cylinder, and carburetor.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

7.9 & 8.5 also share same con rods. crankshaft, intake manifold, and head gasket.

I’m running out of stuff to look at.

Could be spark advance on different magnetos (??)

squierka39
                  Participant

US Member

I had the 8.5 and 7.9 at one time. The head on the 8.5 was much thicker visually than the 7.9. My 7.9 is the 4K model, but I think it’s the same as the early 4L .

bayham3261
                    Participant

7.9hp had Scintilla magneto, 8.5hp had Phelon magneto. But I don’t think that should make any hp difference(?)

I’ve never heard of the Scintilla magneto… did a quick google search and saw that it was associated with Bendix…? I’ll have to pull the flywheel to check out what type of magneto.

I took a pictures of the head and it looks unusually thick to me… how does it look to you squierka39?

bayham3261
                      Participant

here’s another pic…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.