Home Forum Ask A Member cheap pumps…no big mistake :-(

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well…crow tonight for supper

after much fiddling with my set of cheap $6.99 chinese pumps I went to install an older model when I checked the drilled hole in the aluminum plate with the base gasket alignment .

poked a tye wrap in the pulse hole and OMG could not go beyond the drilled cover plate. I had filled the cover plate with JB weld and drilled a .25 inch hole to get my vacum pulse to the pump.

as it turn out when I marked the location of the hole in the aluminum cover plate I had it flipped over on my bench. When I installed it the drilled vacum passage was off-set from the pump gasket hole.

end result…no vacum pulses ever reached the fuel pump and so no fuel was pumped to the carb.

One such $6.99 pump was installed and the 10hp Evinrude 1955 roared back to life !!

stupid mistake.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m glad your Ching Chong Corporation pumps work. (When they take over this country, and they will, I will be the very first round-eye they exterminate. It’s okay.) One question, though….back in the last thread about these, you were saying that they weren’t passing the suck-blow test. Do they still not pass that test, but they work on the engine, anyway? Just curious.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by billw.
        crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

no…. in my opinion they failed the “usual” test

on my “older” pump I could easily use my mouth to blow air IN to OUt as the valves allowed simple mouth pressure to override the check valve with almost a whistle like sound .

In the reverse OUT to IN direction I could not push air backwards nor could I “suck” air on the IN nipple

on the $6.99 I can not simply blow air IN to OUT. air comes out all over the place ex: the side bolt mounting holes and the small diaphragm vent holes. I even tried pushing water and it leaks out under the top brass plate.

I can also blow air OUT to IN with air passing out the side edges and bolt mounting holes .

All this got me to order 2 B&S pump and a couple of NPT adapters as I readied to tap the cover plate to install a pulse nipple …when I I got an older pump from my parts bin to do a “last chance” trial before tapping the cover plate….

when I checked the pulse hole with a small tye wrap to poke it free of any debris O.M.G . I could not push the tye wrap all the way into the side cover plate/crankcase cavity .

A close exam of the problem explained why. my holes got off-set when I flipped the plate over .

None of all this would have happened if the side plate had not been filled with JB weld .

The J B did the job perfectly 🙂 .. it stopped the vacum pulses from passing from the misaligned side cover plate hole onward to the aluminum plate pump base gasket hole.

As to the $6.99 “air leaky” pumps….it all remains a mystery …

wish I had myself a “home made pulser” to try them out on the bench…. canola oil should be a nice, non smelly easy flowing fluid to test them but…installing them properly would greatly help 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by crosbyman.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by crosbyman.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.