Check out this Ebay listing- I’m raising the BS flag

Home Forum Ask A Member Check out this Ebay listing- I’m raising the BS flag

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)

• MonkeyButt

Replies: 80
    Topics: 37

This guy is trying to sell this Mighty Mite as a NOS John Deere outboard. I have been collecting for a long time and I have never seen a John Deere endorsed outboard. I know the make marine engines but not outboards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1961-6 … Sw2VFbDWWr

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

Gotta give them credit for the repaint, which it does say was done. It actually looks like a really nice motor if you like the John Deere thing. I don’t think he really is saying that it was always a John Deere, though. He does get a little vague in his description towards the end, though; I’ll give you that!

Long live American manufacturing!

pm-t2

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 516
    Topics: 44

Try actually reading and understanding the text before calling somebody out on something. I’ll put their text in quotation marks as copied & pasted from the auction ad.

"THIS IS A VINTAGE NEPTUNE 1.7HP MIGHTY MITE MODEL #WC1 SERIAL NUMBER 2797RK MADE BY MUNCIE GEAR WORKS INC. MUNCIE, INDIANA. IT LOOKS TO BE A NEW OLD STOCK MOTOR WITH LITTLE OR NO RUNNING TIME ON IT. THE GAS TANK IS SUPER CLEAN AND IT HAS GOOD SPARK AND COMPRESSION.

IT WAS FOUND IN EXCELLENT NOS CONDITION AND WAS BUFFED AND REPAINTED BY NEIGHBORS OF MINE IN A JOHN DEERE MOTIF AND IT LOOKS BETTER THAN WHEN NEW"

Where does he say that its an NOS John Deere outboard? It doesn’t. Those are your words, not the sellers.

The rest of his drivel is just a boner-driven opinion of what many would consider to be a painted up conglomeration of dubious value.

What should be the concern here is that they claim it was an NOS original condition motor, and somebody butchered it with this paint job. Why ruin an NOS original condition motor? That part is probably indeed fresh off the stable floor. More likely it was looking pretty rough and somebody decided to have some fun with it, and this boob wants to pawn it off on some knowledgeable and unsuspecting Humpty for a ridiculous amount of money.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    PM T2

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

I don’t know why some people seem to think that a tune up and twenty dollars worth of spray paint will increase the value of an old outboard by a factor of ten. I would think it might go in the living room better than this model . . . 😎

tarcigam

Replies: 25
    Topics: 6

Try reading and understanding. Really did you read the sellers title? My god…. I would think that soap box would be worn out by now. "Think before you call someone out"

tarcigam

Replies: 25
    Topics: 6

To clarify the above post.what are you thinking T2. The person who puts people down because they sell on e-bay. Now you defend a crap E-bay seller with a deceptive title?

pm-t2

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Topics: 44

If anyone can construe that as a defense of the seller, then they are capable of cerebral gymnastics far beyond the scope of my comprehension.

where is there is any word, statement, or implication that the seller is worth defending? Merely pointing out that in the description part, he does advertise it as a Neptune repainted into silly colours. And I disagreed with his claim that it was an NOS motor. Nuff said about the ad.

As for me putting people down for selling on Ebay? I do not criticize people simply for selling on Ebay. I criticize them for selling on Ebay at ridiculous prices or for glaring and obvious misrepresentations (i.e. "Genuine CLarke Troller Cutaway", etc.

For further clarification, I suggest you refer to the seller as a "Ebay seller who sells crap", and not a "crap Ebay seller". One is an opinion of his wares, the other is a condemnation of the vendor themselves.The toilet-worthy John Deere outboard aside, the seller ratings seem to point to a vendor with favourable support and feedback from his customers. They seem to like the crap he sells. I have no opinion either way, having never dealt with them.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    PM T2

joesnuffy

Replies: 356
    Topics: 23

I’ve been following this auction after it was mentioned here. I also would think a NOS Neptune engine would have never been painted if it was actually NOS and if so would be worth more money than a jacked up painted one. I took the time to look at his pictures today and this picture below shows a clear plastic fuel line going to the carb I would think its not original I would think it would have been copper? but I don’t really know since I don’t own one. The carb also looks to have signs of fuel leakage colors from running through the years. I also noticed he lives on the lake somewhere so he may enjoy old outboards as we do but I don’t think its a NOS engine it is most likely a runner since it has a new style fuel line. Just my humble opinion.

Joe

Attachments:

kees

International Member - 2 Years
    Topics: 17
    quote PM T2:

If anyone can construe that as a defense of the seller, then they are capable of cerebral gymnastics far beyond the scope of my comprehension.

where is there is any word, statement, or implication that the seller is worth defending? Merely pointing out that in the description part, he does advertise it as a Neptune repainted into silly colours. And I disagreed with his claim that it was an NOS motor. Nuff said about the ad.

As for me putting people down for selling on Ebay? I do not criticize people simply for selling on Ebay. I criticize them for selling on Ebay at ridiculous prices or for glaring and obvious misrepresentations (i.e. “Genuine CLarke Troller Cutaway”, etc.

For further clarification, I suggest you refer to the seller as a “Ebay seller who sells crap”, and not a “crap Ebay seller”. One is an opinion of his wares, the other is a condemnation of the vendor themselves.The toilet-worthy John Deere outboard aside, the seller ratings seem to point to a vendor with favourable support and feedback from his customers. They seem to like the crap he sells. I have no opinion either way, having never dealt with them.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    PM T2

very well said

mini-motors

Replies: 54
    Topics: 4

Maybe they thought the John Deere motif might make it run better. "Nothing runs like a Deere".

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.