Home Forum Ask A Member Chrysler outboards?

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    b-dittmar
    Participant

US Member

Okay The 9.6hp Sea King uses 80w90 GL-5 gear oil in the gear case.

cajuncook1
      Participant
        quote outbdnut2:

Careful on terminology here – some people and companies use “gear oil” and “grease” inter-changably, as the article a few posts up appears to do, as it talks about changing grease , then using 90 w gear oil but then talks about draining grease. I think of “grease” as the thick stuff, like wheel bearing grease, that will not drain out if the drain screw is removed, which is common in non-gearshift motors.
        Dave

Yes, I agree the terminology regarding grease was used poorly. I posted the service manual caption for clarification even though it was not right year, it was the closest year manual I had available to me.

I suspect, the previous owner of that outboard experienced a gearcase leak, so decided to fill it with marine grease to protect the gears. Just a guess, not stating a fact.

As usual, Ben (Chrysleroutboarddude) was very nice to step in and clarify things. Hey Ben, always enjoy your videos when I can’t get out on the water. Mark, Ron, and yourself make a good diverse showings of of different makes and models.

Cheers to y’all!

Cajun

amuller
        Participant

Even my West Bend factory manual says "grease" when it apparently means 80/90 wt gear oil.

bill-russell
          Participant

The late 1970’s thru the 80’s, 4 hp Chrysler was loop charged too. Bill

The Boat House
            Participant
              49hiawatha
              Participant

Tubs- Excellent show (visual) and tell on lube grease. Thank you.

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

Tubs and Mumbles should get together and start a Marine grease and oil museum 🙂

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

prtrc
                  Participant

Hey Dan – your videos on the old Chrysler motor have been helpful. Thank you. But I am still having an issue with the water pump. I have a 1966 6HP model 6601 and have dropped the lower unit and checked out the impeller. It is pliable and in tack. Submerged in water and turned shaft with a drill and water is coming out the exit hole of the pump but can’t tell if it is a strong enough stream or not. Ran a copper wire up the water line to the powerhead and no apparent obstructions. Reassembled and motor starts and runs good before I shut it down because it is getting too hot – and there is no water exiting the the hole on the back of the motor. I get some smoke (maybe its actually steam but don’t no) but no water sprays out like it shows on your videos. Not sure what to no next….Any thoughts? thx

Mumbles
                    Participant

If you are getting smoke or steam coming  out of the telltale and the water pump is good, that could be caused by a couple of things.  Either exhaust fumes are getting into the water pump or most likely, the head gasket is leaking and allowing exhaust into the water jacket. Since the exhaust is under higher pressure than the water pump can develop, the exhaust wins and wont allow much if any water into the powerhead.  The results are smoke coming out of the telltale and an overheat situation.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.