Home Forum Ask A Member Cleaning

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member

This has probably been brought up before but besides some dawn and elbow grease, is there anything that can be used to clean a motor too to bottom to remove all the grease and oil , without affecting the paint? Thanks!!

lloyd
      Participant

US Member

Old gasoline and a variety of old brushes. Outboard paint is gasoline resistant for obvious reasons. Hang the motor up with a big pan under it and start cleaning from top to bottom. Crud runs down into the pan for easy disposal.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

wd40 works stove oil#1 lamp oil lestoil in a spry bottle in case your motor was repainted over with non fuel resistant spray paints

drip it all in clay based cat litter (not the clumping stuff) but dispose properly or collect all the juices and drive them over to recycling services

some garages accept oils but some may frown on more combustible gas juices

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Tinman
          Participant

US Member

Thanks for the tips! As soon as it warms up it will be time to clean up a few of these grimy motors!!

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

if it is still cold just light the gas mix to keep warm and no disposal problem. Ha Ha Ha.

Tinman
              Participant

US Member

I’m sure I could do a controlled burn! Lol

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

I use kerosene for cleaning grease off. It is not explosive like gasoline. Yes – it feels a bit oily, but any thin film left dries up in a day or so. If I am going to paint, after the kerosene dries, I wipe down with a degreasing household cleaner like “409” to take of any residual residue. I use kerosene on car parts too. It works a lot better in my parts cleaner then the newer “green” cleaners and it’s cheap.

I used to use #1 fuel oil, but I have trouble finding that anymore – same as #1 diesel without the additives, but I’m leery of diesel in my state because of the mandate that it has to be some percent biodiesel.
                  Dave

Tinman
                  Participant

US Member

I’ll give the kerosene a try! Thanks for the tips!

labrador-guy
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I use mineral spirits. I am careful to keep the cleaning tub closed when not in use and try my best to stay away from the fumes. Usually some old gas gets mixed into the washer before it needs cleaning. I try to loosen the grease and grime on the part I am washing with a brush, sometimes a wire brush, then use compressed air outside to blow off any remaining crud. Rubber gloves are also a good idea. Can’t be to careful!

dale

Randy in Tampa
                      Participant

I used Walmart brand foaming engine cleaner on a Nice original waterwitch, cleaned it up nice and did not harm the paint or decal …😏

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.