Home Forum Ask A Member clinton K200 1106A

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Purpura
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I do not know how to search these forums. I am trying to get a clinton k200 1106A running. 3 hp. air cooled.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

You would be better off by asking some more specific questions here. What do you need help with? No spark? No compression? No fuel? Or just a comprehensive troubleshooting guide? That’s more or less just a lawn mower engine, not too complicated.

nabmd
        Participant

US Member

look under Resouces at the top, then Links, then under ‘For the old outboard’, click on Art Dekalb’s site; under his “Art’s Extras” tab is his “Five Point Plan”. Very good intro to basic items to cover in getting a motor to run.

Michael Purpura
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ok, I hate to reinvent the wheel. I am looking for a parts manual, or any type of manual on the Clinton 3hp K200 1106A motor. I’ve cleaned out the gas tank and carb. I removed the plug, motor spins freely and the cylinder seems to be in good shape. I spun the flywheel with my air wrench and get no spark at the plug.

How can I search the forum to find information on the ignition coil, plug wire, where to get parts or who to talk to about Clinton Engines.
            Thanks for all of your help.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Please, please report back and tell us if this information is still correct. Or not.

Clinton Engines Corporation
              22563 35th Street
              Maquoketa, IA 52060-8640
              (563) 652-2411
              They are a “cash” only place, they don’t accept credit cards. If they are not there leave a message, and they do get back to you. tell them what you need, they take your order, then call you back with the price for parts and shipping.

The Boat House
              Participant

Michael Purpura
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tubs,
                  I cleaned the points, plug, I noticed that the plug wire was badly cracked. I found a coil and put it in. spun the flywheel, no spark. Next I am putting in a condenser. I do not know how to check the coil for continuity. I read that a multi meter attached to the coil and set to ohms should show a needle movement to the right. Then when the polarity is reversed show a movement to the left, in other words charge -discharge. But beyond that I don’t know how to check a coil. I have not put in the condenser yet. When I do I will see if I have spark. There is not much else to do. I found a carb kit so I plan to clean up the fuel bowl and rebuild the carb. The engine has good compression. I have to take apart the lower end and grease it and see if there is an impeller. That is all I know about this little engine.
                  Mike

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Look where the underwater exhaust exits the motor behind the prop. Do you see a small tube coming out there and curving forward toward the prop? If yes, there is no water pump. The thrust of the prop pushes water up through that tube to cool the exhaust. But if no tube, there is an El Cheapo water pump to cool the exhaust. Clinton made them both ways, so you just gotta look. Either way, the water cools the exhaust. The powerhead is air cooled. But get this: Even though air cooled, it still needs to have the exhaust water cooled. If not, the exhaust gets stinking hot and the heat travels up into the powerhead.

The ignition system works just like a zillion Evinrude and Johnson motors, just made by a different company and looks different. There a ton of E/J videos on You-Tube some good and some not so good. But a good source of service operations.

So did you check out the Clinton Engines info I posted? I wasted my time if they are no longer in operation or nobody is interested. The company is run by former employees of Clinton and they got the leftover parts when Clinton closed.

The Boat House
                    Participant

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.