Home Forum Ask A Member Condenser Testing on Merc-O-Tronic 98

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kevinrude
    Participant

The unit has 3 condenser tests, numbered 4 through 6:
      (4) Capacity
      (5) Leakage & Short
      (6) Series Resistance

I have figured out how to do (4), but have questions regarding (5) and (6). Also, I have calibrated the needle correctly for each of the tests per the instructions in the manual.

For the Leakage and Short test (5), the instructions in the manual state "Depress the red button and hold a minimum of 15 seconds. Read scale number 5. The meter pointer hand will move to the right and must return within range of the narrow black bar at the left. Any readings to the right of the black bar indicate the condenser is leaking or shorted and must be replaced." The problem is, on my scale, there is no "narrow black bar at the left". My scale 5 is divided exactly in half: the left half says "leakage" and the right half says "shorted". Any idea how to perform this test with the scale as I described?

For the Series Resistance test (6), the instructions say "meter pointer must be within ok green block on scale number 6 on right side of meter". When I perform the test, the needle goes all the way to the right, right past the "green ok block". I am assuming that this means the test passed because the needle is not in the left red box (which reads ‘series resistance bad’) and has blown right through the green ok block. True?

Thanks!

kevinrude
      Participant

So, about 5 minutes after submitting this question, I had the bright idea to test a "good" condenser to see what happened and, as a result, I believe I now know how to conduct tests (5) and (6). I was just going to delete my question, but thought I would post my answer in case anyone else has this same question or, and this is more likely, if I forget how to do this test in the future I now have an answer documented 😀

Basically, when you press the red button for test (5), the needle jumps to the right a bit and then settles back down on the left side of the scale if the test passes. Now, why the instructions called it "narrow black bar" instead of "left side of scale", I have no idea, but bottom line, the needle needs to return to its point of origin.

As for test (6), the needle blew right past the green ok block on the good condenser, so I am interpreting this as "the test passes as long as the needle is within or to the right of the green ok block".

I hope this helps and I hope I remember to retain a copy for next time. Feel free to comment if you have anymore insights. Sorry to waste everyone’s time!

chris-p
        Participant

For test 5, you want a quick, sharp bounce back. Should be a quick short bounce.

mikesea
          Participant

Good subject on capacitors or condensers as their were called.

kevinrude
            Participant
              quote Chris_P:

For test 5, you want a quick, sharp bounce back. Should be a quick short bounce.

Thanks Chris. That’s exactly what happened when I tested the good ones!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.