Home Forum Ask A Member connecting rod screw socket sizes 25/35hp

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dan-in-tn
    Participant

US Member

pretty successful tool. I haven’t bought one in about 15 yrs, but they use to fit and hold up well. I don’t use an impact on mine. A breaker bar works best for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Snap … SwBLlVOVfd

Dan in TN

johnyrude200
      Participant

I’m ‘watching’ two different snap on tool sets right now because I figured it made sense just to spend $40-50 for a larger variety of these snap-on deep sockets rather than $12 on a single one. The ironic thing is I already have a set of ‘champion’ deep 12 point sockets, and they have worked great on everything without getting worn (the hex heads bend/distort before these sockets have…and I’ve used a 30" breaker bar attached to my socket wrench and had the screw fail before the socket themselves).

The issue is that my smallest size is 3/8th, where the rod screws are 5/16th…and the screws are 12 point screws, so even a 6-point hex socket is A) too large in diameter to fit the clearance on the rod, and B) doesn’t grab enough without screwing up the socket (they are generic brand sockets).

Thanks again for the trade secrets guys. This is going to be a busy winter of motor building to say the least.

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.