Home Forum Ask A Member Contemplating building a "Rat Motor"

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    wyo307
    Participant

Can all of you provide me with some advice please. I have now restored a number of old outboards and have really enjoyed that but now I want to kind of create a "rat motor" for fun. The direction I am thinking is a merc 250 powerhead hidden under a mark 20 cowl on a ke7 tower with a kg7 gearcase. Would that theoretically work? Any other suggestions on combinations I can do? Pictures of previous builds would be great also. I am just in the conception phase right now so any thoughts would be great.

20mercman
      Participant

US Member

Here is a few photos of a recent "Frankenmerc" motor I built. I called it a Mk-28.5 or also "Project 50:1" (There are parts from 50 different motors in this, to make 1 motor.)

This motor was built on a 1956 Mk-25 tower with a KH-7 drive shaft that I lengthened 7/8" It has a 1964 Mercury 200 powerhead and lower cowl with a Mk-28 top cowl. It has a 1972 tiller, and a Mk-30 saddle cover assembly. A lot of different parts in it, spanning 20 years of Mercury technology. My goal was to make a motor that might look like something Mercury could have come up with. Here is a photo during mock-up.

Steve

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.