Convert 1977 25 Hp to tiller version

Home Forum Ask A Member Convert 1977 25 Hp to tiller version

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Evinrude 25

Replies: 135
    Topics: 29

Hello,
    I got my hand on 1977 25 Hp Johnson. This is the first year OMC changed it to CD ignition. This one is a remote controlled version but I want to convert it to tiller version.
    I also have a spare 1975 25 Hp Johnson tiler version. By the look I could see that I just swap the whole bracket steering of 1975 to 1977 or other option that I move the power head of 1977 to 1975 body.
    Anyone has been done it before? please advice.

1975-25-HP

1977-25HP-1

1977-25HP-2

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by Mumbles.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

OK, well the part numbers for the tiller steering brackets are different for the 75 vs 77 tiller steer models. I don’t know why though, it is not too tough to pull the exhaust housing/powerhead off the swivel to check it out though (provided they are fresh water motors and the mounts don’t break). I don’t think the powerheads will swap between those two different style midsections. Perhaps the tillers/gear shafts are different lengths between the two models, which wouldn’t be an issue since you are using all the stuff from the 75 model.
    Maybe someone else has further knowledge on this subject…I would look for a used steering bracket before attempting the swap though…

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Certain ’76 and older 22 cubic inch motor parts will interchange right back to the fifties but your ’77 25 is a first generation 32 C.I. motor and is a totally different animal. A powerhead swap won’t work.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

Like Mumbles says, it is a whole different deal. The basic design looks the same but I think you’ll find many things are just a slightly different size and won’t interchange. You’d be a lot better off finding a later model donor motor. They made a whole ton of those engines in the 25-35 hp range. Parts have got to be out there.

Long live American manufacturing!

Evinrude 25

Replies: 135
    Topics: 29

I could be able to find correct the 77 tiller steer model #322883 on E-bay for $40 + $18 shipping in usa. There rest will be a common parts with 1975.
    In order to install it, the power head needs to be removed.
    Other problem on 1977, when the flywheel turn around at a certain point, it touch the mag plate and make it to jump up/down a bit. Try to remove the flywheel and the flywheel nut is bigger than 1975 model. It looks like I need 1-1/16″ socket for it.

Steering-bracket

Issue

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Mumbles.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Seems like a good price for that steering bracket, I’m guessing the tiller handle from your 1975 model will fit, but not totally sure on that…
    Yes, you will need a large socket and OMC flywheel puller to get that flywheel off. Once it is off, start by replacing the plastic mag plate bushing: 322435. Hopefully that will solve the slop issue…If not, you may have a worn mag plate bushing along with crankcase pilot bushing….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.