Converting a pressure tank to one line operation.

Home Forum Ask A Member Converting a pressure tank to one line operation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vintin
    Participant

I’ve got six pressure tanks and I need two or three of them converted over to single line operation. I love the look of these tanks on vintage boats. Are there kits for doing such? Tips? I just read somewhere on the forum that radiator shops can seal the inside of the tank. Is this a good option? I’ve read also about the battery/nail method of inside tank repair but have never done…and forget where I read on how to do it. It was AOMCI info though. I don’t need any type of fuel gage. I do not care for the look of plastic tanks on vintage boats. Feel free to private message me but would rather information posted publicly. Don’t hold back on your opinions of what I’m looking to do. My mind is not set in stone.

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

With the small diameter holes in the OMC pressure tank fuel delivery circuit, I wonder how well they would be able to deliver fuel in a vacuum system….

Long live American manufacturing!

chris-p
        Participant

In my area, pressure tanks hold much more value than single line steel tanks. Why not just trade a pressure tank for 2 or 3 single line tanks?

twostroke
          Participant

First off….Chris is right….the single-line tanks are dime-a-dozen compared to good pressure tanks…

In any event, I’ve used them on single-line motors with a cobbled up adapter; an extra two-line ‘engine’ end with an OMC single line hose end in the fuel line, and the vent line left open and it works fine…..but my experience is with small (read 5 1/2’s….gotta zillion of ’em) engines. The only reason I did that was so I didn’t have a bunch of gas tanks sitting around with gas in ’em. Most of my small OMC motors are two line….but there’s a few new enough to use a single line.

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

vintin
            Participant

Thanks for the input guys. I would consider of course trading for single line tanks if the single tanks have as must aesthetic appeal. I haven’t seen any that do. My use and interest is for 18 hp and larger omc motors.

Still seeking input.

Thanks,

Dan N.

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote VinTin:

Thanks for the input guys. I would consider of course trading for single line tanks if the single tanks have as must aesthetic appeal. I haven’t seen any that do. My use and interest is for 18 hp and larger omc motors.

Still seeking input.

Thanks,

Dan N.

Dan, I made an adapter much as twostroke describes above. I have used this adapter with no problem on my 1967 Fastwin. I made my adapter for winterizing. I use 8:1 gas oil mix before fogging my motors for winter / long term storage. With the adapter, I can put the 8:1 in a 4 gallon pressure tank and I can run every remote tank motor I have from my 4 gallon OMC pressure tank. That way I don’t have several tanks sitting around with heavy oil mix in them. As it turns out, the adapter works great in the boat too.
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

vintin
                Participant

Thanks Ben.

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Anytime Dan. Looking forward to Tomahawk already this year. 😀
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

rco
                    Participant

If you could find a 50’s Gale tank they are identical to the j/e pressure tanks, but have a single 1/4" line since Gale was using fuel pumps 5+ years earlier than their omc cousins.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.