Home Forum Ask A Member Correct spark plug for 1924 Model D Elto Ruddertwin

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I use Champion D16 plugs in my 1924 D rudder twin with good results.

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Most Champion "R" plugs I’ve seen were the side electrode type, and I wouldn’t run them in anything but a hi-performance motor.

Antique Champion 7, or, in lieu of, the 6M or even a 5M/5MJ will give you more than enough performance and reliability to make you happy.

I don’t run modern plugs. Period. F*** ’em. For old iron, I clean up the antique plugs I find and go with it. If your ignition and fuel settings (not mix, the carb settings) are where they’re supposed to be, you can run the antique plugs for the duration of this lifetime…. and the next….

Best,
        PM T2

Monte NZ
        Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Thanks very much Roalco,XR55 and PM T2 for your help too.
          I have managed to get the motor out on the lake and have given it a good run.
          I checked the plugs (D 16s) and they were very sooty as I suspected.
          Interesting to note when I got back to Auckland yesterday, I managed to find the old original plugs and they are Champion 7s.!

Thanks everyone once again.
          Monte NZ

jimross
          Participant

There may be a fine line between correct, original and best but those of us who have collected and run the Elto’s have always sworn by the Champion D9J for Ruddertwin, all Speedsters and ’28 Quads. The original was the Champion 7. Jim Ross

Monte NZ
            Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Thanks Jim for that info too……much appreciated!
              All very interesting and helpful.

Thanks again for all your input and enthusiasm…….keep up the good work!
              Monte NZ

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.