Home Forum Ask A Member Cylinder head shocking me 1957 35hp evinrude

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    gjonz
    Participant

Check your plug wires for chafed insulation. I replaced some one time…and they got rubbed raw from moving back and forth with the mat plate. Also be sure they didn’t get chafed by a spinning flywheel somehow.

Greg

sqrl42
      Participant

Well look what I found under the hood!!!
        Turns out the point connection bolt came loose inside the fly wheel.
        Cant believe this thing would start and run so well..
        Gotta pull the flywheel and replace that bolt.

Explains the shocking I guess!! 😐

If it’s not one thing, it’s another..
        Thanks for all the help

Attachments:

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, at least everything didn’t get torn up under there….Check all the other fasteners while you are in there, and make sure you have all the leads routed correctly. The coil primary leads must be routed correctly, or they will rub on the point cam. The coil and condenser leads must be fastened to the points correctly, facing off to the side, or the flywheel will rub on them….

sqrl42
          Participant

Everything up top is new.. Looks like I under tightened last spring after the tune up.

Really hope this is the last fix.. Gotta boat this weekend

johnyrude200
            Participant

2,000RPM = 2,000 VIBRATIONS PER MINUTE. I’ve seen carburetors vibrate loose and fall off even though they’ve been hand tightened with a wrench to the point where you think you’ll strip a fastener or stud. Always have to check the fitness level of original/old/unknown components too.

The torque charts in the service manuals for specific fasteners are there for a reason – no matter how anal they may seem!

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.