Home Forum Ask A Member Demand for Johnson SD20 SD-20?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    evh
    Participant

I just picked up a Johnson 16hp SD-20 from either 1949 or 1950 based on my research. I am new here and don’t know much about it. I am not sure if I should sell it as a whole or as parts (I don’t want to keep it). Any advice from from those of you that know anything about this outboard. Based on searches I have done, I don’t see anything special about it.

Thanks for any advice give.

amuller
      Participant

Well, why did you pick it up of you didn’t want it? Personally, I don’t think motors should be parted out without a good reason why they can’t be kept intact. And yes, you might sell some pieces on ebay for more than you could get for the whole motor, but it’s considerable of bother to do that, and there would be leftovers. Some find it rewarding, others find it not worth the trouble.

wedgie
        Participant

Not particularly valuable, and not worth the time or trouble to take it apart and try to sell it piecemeal on Ebay in my opinion . If it is in poor shape and cannot be made to run without investing a lot of $ and time,then that would be the best thing to do with it so other sd 20’s could live on. Neat motors, and I would love to have one in my collection. If you can, post a picture and let us know where you are located. Maybe a club member close to you would be interested.

opposedtwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Generally parting out motors on ebay results in a few bucks made but 70% of the parts won’t sell and wound up being sold for scrap or worse yet, simply thrown away.

evh
            Participant

All, thank you for your feedback. What you have told me is about what I expected. Visually it looks in good condition. It looks to be all original and it is not locked up. I will check for spark and compression and see what I have. It even came with the tall gas can. I would like to keep it all together. I will post some pictures in the next few days to see if there is any interest. Thanks again for all that responded. I’m glad I found this forum (there are some great looking older outboards out there)!

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

These are neat motors and pretty strong runners. I have one in my collection along with an SD-15. A friend of mine have me the SD-20 and it didn’t take too much to get it going. It’s a fun motor to run if you don’t mind not having any neutral or reverse, and coordinating throttle and spark advance independently along with dialing in the carb once it warms up.

As was stated above, they’re not particularly valuable and they kind of take the right person to want one. They are significant in the history of Johnson Motors and OMC in that they were the first to use the remote pressure tank system that all the 50s OMCs ended up using. I do like mine, but I don’t run it a lot simply due to the need to row out frim the dock or shore enough to have room to start it and be heading in the right direction. When it starts cold, your plan has to be in place since you can’t just shut it down right away and at 3/4 throttle and advance, you’re on your way. Hopefully it goes to someone that wants it and will enjoy it. Here is a video of mine on the lake.
                -Ben

https://youtu.be/h4ZYvzQW80U

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

opposedtwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You should keep it and run it! They’re kinda cool, like a big fat QD!!

evh
                  Participant

Hi Ben,
                    I actually saw your video before I made the post! Note, I am located is SW Michigan. Thanks for sharing.

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Very cool! Thanks for watching! It’s a fun motor. GOBS of torque!
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bsplit
                      Participant

I have an SD15 and an SD 20……nice motors. When I was a kid, we had an SD 15 on a 14 foot Thompson. I water skied behind it just about every day in the Summer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.