Home Forum Ask A Member Did someone do this?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    james-davis
    Participant

picked up a 4hp Johnson sail motor, J4BRHLCRM 84, half apart for twenty bucks. this is what the driveshaft were it goes into crank looked like. Did someone do this?

Attachments:

dockbuster1
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Neglect the drive crank splines should be lubricated yearly with spline lube especially in salt water , if not done two or three years of hevy use and the’re gone like that

david-bartlett
        Participant

Looks like a barnyard fix for worn splines like Lincoln said. Creative.

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

Sure looks like a fairly good way to deal with stripped out splines. Since it is only 4 hp ,it should last. Here is a screen grab of the model you have,no shear pins or notch in the crankshaft

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

james-davis
            Participant

I thought maybe it was some special design until I saw grind and holes drilled. going to parts this one, guess power head is no good.I hope the other 8hp I got from the guy doesn’t have anything too creative when I open it up.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yep, someone sure did try to repair stripped crank/driveshaft splines by cutting that notch in the crank….
                This is not going to work in this situation though…The notch extends all the way down past where the crankcase seal rides on the crank, water will be ingested internally and the bearings won’t last too long….
                Look for another engine being sold for scrap/pennies that might have a decent crank/driveshaft….

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

i totally missed the seal issue ,with the notches cut in the crank.

Fleetwin- thanks for pointing that out.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.