Home Forum Ask A Member Dixie’s Decals

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    gjonz
    Participant

Anyone have any experience with Dixie’s Decals? Are they of good quality. Do they stretch around compound curves. He info says they are coated with a clear finish which worries me about thickness.

Photos would be helpful if anyone has any. I’d like to see the accuracy and detail or the printing.

Thanks!

Greg

The Boat House
      Participant

gjonz
        Participant

Perfect. Thanks.

I can deal with compound curves, but I’m always a little concerned about using new suppliers. These look pretty nice and well thought out.

Appreciate the help

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Dixie’s been good to me! She returns my emails, she takes paypal, her decals are great. As far as I am concerned the decals are as good as any I have seen.

dale

IMG_0020-001

1941 KD15

joecb
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Look very nice… these are vinyl correct? not water applied decals.

Joe B

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi joe, yes those decals are vinyl. I had some bad luck with water slide decals. Once I got the water slide in the spot I wanted and let it stick. Six months later they fell off. Probably operator error I have used water slide only on model cars many many years ago! I will not purchase those again! I know water slide are OE equipment. Any decals are to expensive to waste. IMHO

dale

gjonz
                Participant

The water slide issue is they do not have a glue that allows them to stick to bare aluminum and they only stay on painted surfaces if you “set” the with a decals setting solution such as micro-scale sells. micro-set. However the advantage is on painted surface if properly applied and set, and then clear coated they will stay where you last left them. The are very thin and look original.

The vinyl always has a white “halo” around the edge and are thick, so I’m not huge fan for that reason. My concern with Dixie’s Decals is it says they are clear coated. That equates to additional thickness and may be hard to hide. I clear coat all decals, so I will likely have a “step” around the decals perimeter. That does not help looking original. They also can be a challenge on compound curves.

However in the end analysis a restored motor is going to look restored anyway, so I guess none of my concerns are rooted in logic anyway. So what the heck!

My preference has been using water slides for painted tanks and vinyl for polished tanks. I’ve used Peter McDowell’s stuff from North York Marine for years. Always happy with his stuff. He is very particular. But I wanted to try Dixie’s stuff to see how it goes.

Thanks again for the replies and discussion on this topic.

Greg

tgenrich
                  Participant

Dixie and her decals are great.
                    Only way to go.

itchy
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m a pretty new user of Dixie’s decals – used three and been very happy with her selection of decals, her communications, and the complete instructions that come with the decal. I’ve thought
                      her pricing was very competitive – just happy with dealing with her.

gjonz
                      Participant

Great to hear. Thanks for your input.

Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.