Home Forum Ask A Member Double Lever Manual Shift-Johnson Sea-Master

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

A quick and dirty way to tell if the coils are dragging is to remove the spark plugs and slowly crank the motor over manually while watching the magneto plate under the flywheel. A bit of wiggle isn’t too alarming,, but if it wants to grab and try to rotate with the flywheel, well there ya go. If they are rubbing, the flywheel has to come off for inspection. Could be anything from coils mal-adjustment to a wobbly armature plate, to a cracked/bent flywheel.

Note the red-circled burn mark on the coil heels in the picture. Caused by heat from rubbing.

coils-rubbing

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by frankr.
      • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by frankr.
      danblue
      Participant

Thanks Frank! The flywheel sits on top of the coils correct? So in that picture, the flywheel has been removed I assume, and the coils, etc. as shown are what is underneath. Since the flywheel is above the coils, how is the flywheel hitting those spots on the edges? What are those green edges hitting? Still don’t know what I would even try to do if I was to remove the flywheel. Thanks again for the insight!

frankr
        Participant

US Member

For the sake of imagination, think of the flywheel as an upside-down cake pan, with magnets inside the side, As it rotates, the magnets pass by the coil laminations, where you see the burn marks. The magnets are not supposed to touch the laminations, only pass by with around 010″ clearance. The coils can slide in or out by loosening the three screws that hold them down.

Flywheel removal requires a proper puller and reinstallation requires a torque wrench to tighten the nut to 60-65 foot/pounds.

danblue
          Participant

Thanks Frankr, I’ll remove the spark plugs, and have my dad pull the rope start slowly to see if I notice the flywheel grabbing on the coil ring area..Also, should I be concerned with an occasional spark and “pop” sound coming from the high speed needle/dial area when I’m trying to start the motor? It happens sometimes. Thanks!

frankr
            Participant

US Member

That ain’t normal. I don’t know what’s causing that.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.