Home Forum Ask A Member Driveshaft socket tool

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’d like to bucket test the new water pump on my ’56 Johnson RD-18 prior to installing the lower unit on the motor and need the splined driveshaft socket tool to spin the shaft. Can anyone give me the correct OMC part number for this socket?

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

David Bartlett
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bob,

Get a “Gator” socket. Just Google it.

David Bartlett
        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

frankr
        Participant

To my knowledge, OMC never made a socket for that motor. Anyhoo, while I must confess I’ve done the “bucket test” many times in desperation, it really proves little if anything. Why? Because you are testing it submerged in water. In a real world, exhaust blows the water out of the area and it is operating in air/exhaust surroundings.

bobw
          Participant

David,
            Thanks for the tip on the gator socket – never thought about one of those.

Frank,
            Understand your point on bucket test vs. real world running condition. If it shoots a good stream of water on the bucket test, I’ll know it should be good in the real world. Already verified that the mid-section water tube and the powerhead passages are clear.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

A Hoskins
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I also like the bucket test. I spin the driveshaft with a short length of rubber hose jam-fit on to the splines. I drive the hose piece with 3/8″ and 1/4″ drive extensions and adapters clamped to the hose with a small worm drive clamp. I have a 1/4″ extension that I cut the female end off so it will fit most any drill.

"Fox News" isn't.

Mumbles
              Participant

I just did a bucket test (oil drum) the other day on an 18 horse Evinrude but I used an old crankshaft slid onto the driveshaft splines with the flywheel nut threaded onto the old crank. A socket and a drill spun the shafts and I couldn’t believe the water pressure it developed. I put my finger over the outlet on top of the exhaust housing and couldn’t stop the flow but I could spray it all over the place just like placing your finger on the end of a garden hose. Doing this confirmed the operation of the water pump.

bobw
                Participant

Mumbles, thanks – never thought of that one either. I even have an old crankshaft that will work!

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.