Home Forum Ask A Member Duel line fuel connector hose end.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    benji41
    Participant

US Member

Have been trying to replace o rings and can not get the connector apart. Using a 3/32 punch and a block with a hole to clear the removable part. Have hit so hard bent punch and still can not get it apart. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong or is there a special trick to get them apart.
      Thank You
      Jim Benjamin

Jim Benjamin

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

I make the repair tool and have heard of stories of some just not wanting to budge…. apply some heat to the aluminum…. rinse it well with water first…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I used to make the tool that Richard is making now. There was a reason I made the driver so short that it only protruded such a short distance. The reason was to prevent bending when you hit it. I assume Richard is doing likewise.

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Yessiree Frank, I am following in the Master’s footsteps 🙂

aquasonic
            Participant

US Member

Heat and penetrating oil will help. I have one of the tools mentioned, and it came with a tiny hex key handle as a drive pin. That’s probably less likely to bend than the 3/32″ punch, however, the hex key handles can bend also.

A bouncy workshop bench can be a problem. The impact energy goes into the bench instead of the connector. I have had to put the connector and tool on a piece of scrap lumber on my basement floor to get a better impact. That can make all the difference.

Mumbles
              Participant

The original hex driver which Frank supplied with my tool became too bent and damaged to use over time so what I do now is drill out the hose fittings slightly oversize and use a slightly larger hex driver made from a donor Allen wrench. It works great and has the added benefit of less restrictive fuel/air flow, if ever needed.

RICHARD A. WHITE
                Participant

Lifetime Member

The tool is intended to be placed in a vise

David Bartlett
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I believe the key is to use a driver that is the correct length. Too long and it will bend. It just needs to be long enough to knock out the pieces.

I also have some small diameter welding rods that make good drivers.

David Bartlett
                    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Tinman
                    Participant

US Member

I soak them in a cleaner overnight then they usually come apart. I have the tool used to take apart the connector and I bent the rod too. So I got the right sized finish nail and ground the end flat and it works like a charm.

RICHARD A. WHITE
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Doing the math, the 5/64 Allen wrench used is .090 across the points, and the hole in the fitting is like .094.. The wrench is used because it will bend and NOT break and shatter potentially injuring someone. I am not so confident in using a drill blank. A nail… I can see that, but the wrench is a bit harder so less likely to “swell” if hit and compressed..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.