Home Forum Ask A Member Duel line fuel hose

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    GUY SCHMIDT
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

1st of all, I hope everyone has a healthy and fun 2023. Now, to help with that……I bought about 40 ft. of new fuel line about 6 months ago and recently pulled it out to start rehosing a few of my tanks for the upcoming season. The hose was shiny and sticky at places!…..so before I do anything rash and ruin it…..does anyone know what is going on and more importantly, what can I do to fix this?

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Where did you get/buy the dual line hose?  I have never seen this stuff shiny/sticky.  I probably would not use it, could make a mess of your engine’s fuel system.

need2fish
        Participant

Mouse pee?

Seriously – it emits lots of ammonia.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

wash it wipe it test it …..pee wipe yellowish … mine does anyway

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

GUY SCHMIDT
            Participant

Well, it was stored in a sealed container…..some kind of chemical reaction I think…..I’ll try soap and water 1st, then maybe try a short section with something stronger….thanks for your replies……Guy

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a box of that Tygon transparent, yellow hose, that I use on my chain saws. It, too, gets some kind of definite goo on its surface, sitting in a box. And quite a bit of it, too. If I really stop to think about it, I probably shouldn’t be touching it with bare hands, because God only knows what substance it could be. I also have a box of dual line, black hose. I THINK I got it from Sierra but I forget….anyway, the last I knew, THAT hose was not shiny or sticky.

Long live American manufacturing!

GUY SCHMIDT
                Participant

Ok, we’re getting somewhere….I did buy it from Sierra. Now,  you experienced a similar problem with a different hose but I think there is a connection, even though your hose from Sierra was fine and mine was not.

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I will try to check my box of dual line, tomorrow. I’m guessing I bought the dual line maybe three or four years ago. I used a piece last year and it was okay. Maybe you have a bad batch and could get it replaced? My box of Tygon line is about 20 years old; but I recall it has had that funky coating on it for many….but not all…. of those years. It still seems to work okay. Of course in that case, the line is buried in a saw and I don’t ever have to touch it, once it’s installed!

Long live American manufacturing!

aquasonic
                    Participant

As far as I know there is only one manufacturer of the dual line hose in the world, and that is Saint Gobain. They manufacture all manner of tubing and much of it is for medical use. Over the past ten years of so, I’ve had four 50′ rolls, and never seen it get sticky or shiny. It comes in a cardboard box, and that’s where it’s been kept.

In light of that, I’m thinking that the stickiness/shine that you noticed is due to a chemical reaction with the storage container. Guessing that the fuel line was stored in some kind of plastic container that reacted with the rubber hose. You mentioned that could be the issue. Sounds reasonable.

billy-t
                      Participant

Good Afternoon

I have a couple questions that I am hoping you fellows may be able to help me with.

1. I am working on a 1962 Johnson 3hp and was going to pull the fuel peacock and filter but the filter stayed in the tank when I turned out the fuel fitting.  So I am guessing what ever held them together originally deteriorated.  So can I use a punch to gently knock the fuel filter out and  reattach to the fuel fitting by soldering or some other method?
                        2. in the Carb kit 0439071 you get two plastic O-rings/washers to use on the high and low speed needles and the packing washers.  Would anyone be able to tell me a size of this oring/washer and a source if there is a  place to buy a bunch.

Thanks for any help provided.

Bill

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.