Home Forum Ask A Member Early Johnson P & K crankcase

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    marc.h.
    Participant

US Member

Hi all,
      Does anyone use some sort of sealant between the 2 portions of the split crankcase?
      Thanks.
      Marc

Mumbles
      Participant

If the sealing surfaces are clean and straight, I think I’d use Permatex Anaerobic Flange Sealant, P/N 51531, on it. This stuff is similar to the old OMC Gel Seal and since it is anaerobic, it will set up in the absence of air. Permatex does have a copper based primer to compliment it if you are in a hurry but it will set up overnight without it.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/anaerobic-gasket-makers-flange-sealants/permatex-anaerobic-flange-sealant/

Boggs74
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

On the 1925-29 Model K and P
          I believe your looking for gaskets.
          If you do not use the correct thickness, it can cause crank shaft endplay issues.

marc.h.
          Participant

US Member

Thanks Yall

stanley
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

On the 1925-29 Model K and P
              I believe your looking for gaskets.
              If you do not use the correct thickness, it can cause crank shaft endplay issues.

Brown wrapping paper,shellacked then cut to shape works and is lose to original.

joecb
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, like Stanley said, brown paper… I use the common brown paper grocery bag… Good stuff. I usually give it a light spray of gasket sealer, both sides… let it dry thoroughly before installing.

Joe B

marc.h.
                Participant

US Member

Thanks. Originally there s no gasket between the top and bottom portions of the crankcase. Adding a paper gasket will mess up the crank shaft play… have you had success adding a gasket between the split portion of the crankcase?

stanley
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here’s parts list for P35 showing gaskets in question. #17-44,17-45. All the early opposed twin Johnsons I have worked on have these thin paper gaskets.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.