Home Forum Ask A Member Early to Mid 50's Mercury Outboards-Quicksilver Ride Glide steering

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    TLFrank_Jr
    Participant

Hello,
      Glad to be a member of the group.
      I’m looking for information on Mercury Quicksilver Ride Glide steering systems, in particular what patter of steering wheels they would have had from between 1950-1957.

As a bit of background, I am waiting on delivery of a 1954 Century Imperial Sportsman 16′ that I will be restoring. It seems to be a bit of an odd duck, as information I have gotten indicates most were sold/outfitted with Johnson or Envinrude motors. The one I am getting has the original motor as a Mercury Mark 35. The boat has had 2 previous owners start then abandon restoration attempts, so at this point I am not sure how much of the original hardware it will have, but given that it was dealer installed with a Mercury motor I would suspect that it should have a Mercury Quicksilver Steering system

Any information, especially pictures of Mercury Quicksilver Steering wheels that can be attributed to specific years would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas F.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

Call me 1 914 310 7086 Dave.

oldlure
        Participant

US Member

I believe Ride Guide was new for 1956, see attached flyer. I removed and sold an early one from my Feather Craft, see pic. I believe the first had 1/2″ shaft at the motor end and later changed to 5/8″. Good luck with your restoration.

rideguide-001

rideguide1-001

myfc2

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by oldlure.
          wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I think the only choice for a mid-50’s boat is the Ride-Guide posted above. I have a set up that came new with a 1961 Merc 500. It looks like something out of the Jetson’s.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

TLFrank_Jr
            Participant

Thanks for all the information everyone!

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

I have that exact one and more

TLFrank_Jr
                Participant

I’m still waiting for the boat to be delivered to see what removed parts it comes with, but might have to keep an eye out for at least that center boss with the 3D cast center.

wbeaton
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

…might have to keep an eye out for at least that center boss with the 3D cast center.

Don’t bother. The wheel and center is all one cast part. The wheel is also specific too Ride Guide. If you want that center you will need the entire system.

Wayne
                    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

TLFrank_Jr
                    Participant

Given that i have the same wheel with a different emblem, and have seen others, the center is just a cap glued/epoxied in place. If I can find even a broken/damaged wheel with the 3D center I have ways of removing them safely without damaging them or the wheel. It will all depend on what actual direction I choose to go for restoring the boat.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.