Home Forum Ask A Member Eismann coils

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

Tubs, you have me wondering if I should just go ahead and try to swap out the Eisemann coils
      for OMC and be done with it. It was nice to see that little motor running on that scenic lake.
      Makes me yearn for Spring, especially when it’s -6 degrees and snow up the “shovel’s hilt”.
      Again, nice documentation on the “How To”.
      Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
      Participant

Here is how I did it.
        Not as easy as some but anybody can do
        it and your suppose to have parts left over!!!

green-thumbs
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank You gentlemen!. I have learned somethings I needed to know.
          Louis

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Very nice job on the coil mod, Tubs.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

I “eyed up” the coil swap situation a little today, holding an OMC coil
              this way and that a way, but not sure I took in consideration the depth
              the coil needs to go on the lams and if there’s clearance for the primary
              and ground wires. The Eismann coil is quite a bit bigger, so I don’t think
              clearance will be an issue.

Just wondering, is there any benefit “magnetic flux” wise, to only shave down
              the center lam and leave the rest original thickness?
              Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
              Participant

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

I went ahead and started the coil conversion on the Eisemann magneto today,
                  while I await supplies to finish the gas tank.
                  Not sure if the way I machined down the laminate layers is going to be
                  “better, worse, or not work at all.
                  I left the bulk of the laminate the original 5/8” thick, and only machined down
                  the center post where the new coil slides on. All the “height” removed was
                  from the bottom side of the laminate, with my thought being I’d have a little
                  more clearance below the coil to snake the new spark plug wire out the original
                  hole in the mag plate, and to use the OMC coil spark plug wire attachment
                  as designed. Not sure if I succeeded as I have not tried hooking up a wire yet.
                  The Eisemann coild was bigger diameter, so I still end up with the same
                  clearance from top of laminate to top of coil.

I’ve never tried, but is there any reason I couldn’t install the one finished
                  OMC coil on the mag, and it’s points, condenser, of course, and give
                  it a try, to see if I have good spark, before I potentially ruin another
                  Eisemann laminate?

Also news worthy, I revamped the old condensers and put a little
                  orange, radial capacitor in their cans. The axial caps I had were
                  too long anyway. I never tried this conversion, as I never found
                  an old condenser large enough in diameter were said cap would fit
                  inside of. I’ll probably fill the cans with silicone, to make the caps
                  vibration free, and keep the mud daubers out!

DSCN8623

DSCN8625

DSCN8628

DSCN8618

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

I went ahead a while ago and installed the one converted coil on the
                    mag plate. I was able to attach the spark plug wire to the coil
                    as intended, and exit the mag plate out the original hole.
                    Flywheel had plenty of clearance over the coil. Therefore, I tried it out
                    and was very happy to see nice blue spark!
                    Guess I’ll go ahead and whittle down the other Eisemann laminate
                    in the next day or so.

As a footnote, I was going to install some Zonghong (sp?) coils
                    for the conversion, but decided on some Sierra “green” coils that
                    Tubs mentioned. The primary leads on the Zonghongnese coils
                    were too short. Also, their primary’s OHM reading was 1.3, and
                    .7 on the Sierra…… not sure if that would have been an issue or not.

Prepare to be boarded!

seakaye12
                    Participant

US Member

That’s very interesting Buc. By chance do you have photos of your work on the cap conversion? Maybe you’ve posted it already and I missed it. Also; the P/N for the orange Cap would be appreciated.
                      Awesome Job!

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

I cut the ends of the condensers off with my Dremel and tiny cut-off saw.
                        I used about a 3/8 drill bit to drill the “guts” out of the condenser. Part
                        way in with the drill bit, the innards all pulled out in one piece.
                        After I cleaned the inside of the condenser a little, I drilled two tiny holes
                        in the top of the old condenser, for the cap wires to poke through.
                        Make sure the one hole is not touching the outside of the condenser can.
                        This wire will be attached to the condenser screw post along with the wire
                        from the coil and points. The other cap wire gets grounded. I used the condenser
                        “hold down” screw for this.

These are the “Orange” caps from DigiKey I used….

.2 UF (.20 mfd)
                        0.2µF Film Capacitor 400V Polypropylene (PP), Metallized Radial

Digi-Key Part Number P12106-ND

Manufacturer Part Number
                        ECW-F4204JL
                        =============

DSCN8618-1

DSCN8619

Cap-conversion

Prepare to be boarded!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Buccaneer.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 39 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.