Home Forum Ask A Member elto

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David C
    Participant

Just fired up my 1942 elto 2hp evenrude sportsman after sevsral issues.This motor was my granfathers who would of been about 120 years old,Had notrun in

60 years. I never tire of the first time running. Time to put in tank which leads me to ask does this motor have water pump?It looks like it has a housing.I no some have to have water movment but would like to no which old motors do and how to tell ones that dont. Dont want to cook any old motors!On the motors that dont will being in barrel create enough movement to cool motor with prop turning? Trying to learn couldnt do it without the help with of Ask a member Thanks DaveR

Mumbles
      Participant

Motors without a water pump rely on the pressure/vacumm system to get water circulating thru the motor.  This usually requires a short full throttle run while mounted on a boat to fill the cooling system and get all the air out. It would probably be next to impossible to achieve this while running the motor in a barrel.  The motors which I’ve seen with this system usually have a pipe plug somewhere on the powerhead where a garden hose can be hooked up for testing.

Where’s Tubs?  He’ll be able to answer your question about the impeller.

The Boat House
        Participant

Here are some pictures from a manual.
          It has a two stage pump which means there are 2
          metal impeller blades that last indefinitely. When
          you pull the motor over its almost circulating
          water before the motor starts. I’ve never had
          one of these but I’m familiar with the pump
          from other models.
          Tubs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.