Home Forum Ask A Member Elto carb question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member

Same motor different question. I’m gonna post a pic of something that came out of the carb. There’s a “needle” but it has a flat tip on it. It’s towards the top of the float bowl and fixed horizontally and kind of intersects with the main air fuel needle on top.(the one with the little handle on it that you adjust every time. I got spark to work and so I put a splash of fuel in the tank, pushed the little “choke” on the bottom that opens the poppet while cranking. Float bowl kept leaking but no fuel on plugs (float bowl problem due to float bowl sliding up and down on the needle) but took the carb back off and was spraying carb cleaner in all the jets when I noticed this little piece of red??? (Hard like a rock or super hard plastic) protruding out of the horizontal opening. Dig it out and this is what I seen………. not much info on these old carbs on the web I’m not really sure what this horizontal port is for as I said the end of the “needle” is flat anyone know what this adjustment is supposed to be?

It's a jungle out there.

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Its just a plug that exerts tension against the needle valve so it stays where you set it. The screw that goes in at an angle presses the plug (that you dug out) against the shank of the needle valve.

Hope this helps.

Best,
        PM T2

tinkerman
        Participant

US Member

Oh so it acts (used to) as a set screw for the other needle. That makes sense cuz I was wondering what kept the other needle in place. Maybe I can wrap some Teflon around the horizontal screw and accomplish the same goal. I think I can figure something out. I think I was really wanting you to say no it don’t belong and that’s probably where your trouble is. Anyway I recoated the cork float with 2 part clear epoxy and waiting on that to cure , and I bent the little brass tab to keep the float from moving up and down on the needle valve. Cleaned and sprayed everything I could see and some I couldn’t on the carb so maybe I try again later. If I had gas spilling out the carb float needle hole on top, this would cause too much fuel in the cylinders, correct? Or no? Any suggestions appreciated. It sounded like it tried to hit once or twice but nothing consistent

It's a jungle out there.

The Boat House
          Participant

tinkerman
            Participant

US Member

Sounds like a plan tubs thanks for the idea

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
              Participant

US Member

Ok I put everything back together carb wise and no fuel leaking out the top of the bowl this time. I took your advice tubs and used the weedeater string for the tension on the needle and it worked great. Opened fuel valve , depressed the “flood choke”……. crossed my fingers …… hit the starter …… and whaaaaa laaaaaa !!!!! It started and idled YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY !!!! can’t wait to put the decal on and hit the water.

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.