Home Forum Ask A Member Elto cub mix, or mate?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    smokeonthewater
    Participant

Question of the day:
      Did Elto Mates have Elto cub fuel tanks underneath the outer tins?
      It seems I have either an Elto mate with a cub tank, or just a Mate with the side covers missing. Model no. Is 4263
      It’s funny, I can’t decide since the tank in question has cub decals.

smokeonthewater
      Participant

Attachments:

soflaevinrude
        Participant

It appears to me that you have a very early Mate (1939) from the ID plate. I can’t see if the numbers match the freeze plug which would be good if they did. For some reason, the original tank (same for Cubs and Mates) may have been replaced with a better condition tank from an original appearing Cub, decals and all. The side covers from your Mate could have been removed and lost or sold some time earlier. I hope you can find another pair so you will be able to complete your Mate.

smokeonthewater
          Participant

Thanks for the good encouragement on finding side covers!
            It’s the strangest thing, the freeze plug matches the model number, but not the serial no.
            I hate to think how lucky I need to be to 1. Find a mate, and 2. Find mate parts like side covers !!!

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

An outboard made up of three or more parts. The side covers are rare because some Cub owners buy them to covert there Cubs to Mates. Mates have a higher value. The sort of conglomeration you find at outrageous prices on Ebay. . . 🙂

smokeonthewater
              Participant

So, three….. 1.pal tank, 2.the serial plate and whatever was originally attached to it, 3.and the powerhead with the non- matching serial no. Correct? I’m guessing a replacement freeze plug would not have had a serial number? So the only way to get the non matching plug is a powerhead switcheroo?

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Right – Elto tank, Mate powerhead, Another Mate stern bracket that we know about, lower units are frequently swapped when the skeg breaks off. . . 🙂

smokeonthewater
                  Participant

Well, I have an intact skeg …. the prop is stamped 113 , which is correct for a (1939) mate according to the prop chart you kindly posted a while back!!! At least I have that going for me…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.