Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Handitwin info

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mike-stroz
    Participant

Just picked up a nice original Handitwin this morning I wanted to show off. Paid $100 for this and a Johnson KA of some sort with the remains of the recoil starter on it. I was looking this thing over and someone took the ID tag off so I can’t tell what year it is. Going by the fact it has the later style gas cap like on my Pals, I’m going to say it’s about a 1940. Can anyone confirm? Other than the missing ID tag and a mismatched tiller handle it looks really nice. I should be able to get it up and running once I recoat the float.

kees
      Participant

International Member - 2 Years

my guess too
        with that protection around the carb.
        I think, it’s the later model 3 hp from 1939 / 1940

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

The clutch in the propeller makes it late 1940 or i941 model 4357 . . . ๐Ÿ˜€

mike-stroz
          Participant

Unless you can see something I can’t, I didn’t see any clutch when I took of the prop to clean out the lower unit. It’s a 1 piece pretty much identical to the one in my ’46 Sportwin. So would that make it a ’39? Or maybe the prop was just swapped at some point. When I was cleaning I found a couple repairs in the tiller handle bracket and the transom clamp. Really good repairs but that leads me to believe this thing was used hard and put away wet. Should still be a good runner though, I’m gonna test it in the morning.

squierka39
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Got a picture of the KA with recoil?

kees
              Participant

International Member - 2 Years
                quote Mike Stroz:

Unless you can see something I can’t, I didn’t see any clutch when I took of the prop to clean out the lower unit. It’s a 1 piece pretty much identical to the one in my ’46 Sportwin. So would that make it a ’39? Or maybe the prop was just swapped at some point. When I was cleaning I found a couple repairs in the tiller handle bracket and the transom clamp. Really good repairs but that leads me to believe this thing was used hard and put away wet. Should still be a good runner though, I’m gonna test it in the morning.

Is the clutch the rubber insert ( behind the prop ) in the parts list for the models 4332 ? year 1940
                looks the same as your prop and lower unit.
                Garry confuse me a little, the first image he send ( 4357 ) has a " normal " prop without that rubber insert, year 1940
                who can add more ?? ๐Ÿ˜•
                have to look what models I have, I am back tomorrow
                ๐Ÿ™„

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

The first picture was an artist rendition, the early models without the clutch were like this . . . ๐Ÿ˜€

mike-stroz
                  Participant
                    quote SquierKA39:

Got a picture of the KA with recoil?

Not at the moment, I think I’ve already got a buyer for it. I have a KA-38 already so I don’t need it, I just got it because I really wanted the Handitwin and the seller wouldn’t split them up

squierka39
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Just curious about the recoil, unless itโ€™s a KD15, the early ones with recoil are scarce. Havenโ€™t seen a KA with one.

mike-stroz
                      Participant

It could very well be a KD. I just assumed it was a KA since it’s so similar to my KA-38, and I haven’t found any tags on it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.